iPod as a storage device

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MacBook Pro
Tax season is almost over, which means I'll be buying some computer equipment soon for write-off purposes. I love being self-employed :D

One of the purchases I've been mulling over is a 60GB iPod. My question is this. Can the iPod be used as an external storage device? If so, can it be used that way on both PC's and Macs? Can you browse through non-media files on the iPod screen?

Just a side note... I have also decided to buy a 20" Cinema Display, and a new Intel Mac Mini. Oh...happy happy joy joy! :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
Yes, you can store files other than music on the iPod.

No, you can't browse them with the iPod.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
you could also say its a gift for employee's if the laws are the same as they are in the UK :D

my dad also does things like that

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac G5
surfwax95 said:
No, you can't browse them with the iPod.

Actually, yes, you can browse files on the iPod, however not through the iPod Firmware. You have to be running Linux on your iPod. (see http://ipodlinux.com)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" Powerbook G4 • 24" iMac • iPhone 3Gs
iPod Linux isn't out for 5th Gens yet, I'm running it on my mini, and yes I can browse files.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4/ 15.2"/ 1.67 ghz/ 2 gb RAM/ ATI Mobility Radeon 9700 (128 mb RAM)/ 100 gb hdd@ 5400 RPM
Yes, the iPod can be used an external storage device.

To do this:

1) Plug your iPod in and open iTunes.

2) Then go under the preferences, there you'll see a few different options (like "General", "iPod", "Podcasts", etc.), for references sake, we'll call them "tabs." (Sorry if it seems like I'm over-simplifying this, I just got done helping my sister figure things out in her version of iTunes, and it takes a lot of work to get her to understand anything involving technology).

3) Under the "iPod" tab, click "Enable Disk Use".

4) Your iPod should show up as an external drive.

Note: You can't view most files on your iPod, but you can view text documents. You have to save them to the iPods "Notes" folder, and they have to be saved as '.txt' files.

Your iPod will still work fine otherwise.

To use an iPod over Windows and Macs, it has to be formatted for the FAT 32 file system that Windows uses. It is recognized by both Mac OS X and Windows. If you format your iPod to use the Mac OS file system, Windows won't read it.

Reaction score
How does one figure out what I would call as the apparent miscommunication between the operating system of Mac OSX and that of Windows XP. When it is formatted from Windows, it only allows the formatting for NTFS, problem is that mac is being stubborn, or at least I think it is. I can format it to FAT32, and I know that Windows can read FAT32, but it says that it cannot recognize it. Has anyone figured out a formatting tool, or a format in general that will allow the Ipod as this storage device, I mean at this point in time I use the Ipod as storage device, so that I have extra space on my harddrive, but I am not able to transfer the files on to a windows computer, unless I first put the files on my harddrive and then transfer it he windows based computer. It could be possible that I am just doing something wrong and that the solution is real simple, but I cannot seem to figure out what it is, and I hate looking on the internet because usually I get bad sites that do not benefit for what I am looking for.
Thanks,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
format the ipod in windows using the iPod Updater software then you wont have any probs

Reaction score
inflexion said:
format the ipod in windows using the iPod Updater software then you wont have any probs

Sounds like a winner, thank you.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.