S.m.a.r.t status failing!

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
Im in a bit of a pickle and was hoping someone could share their knowledge before I take my Macbook Pro into an Apple store.

For about a week now I haven't been able to use my USB ports or cd-rom they can't be recognised. I have googled and tried all the troubleshooting ideas and nothing works. I checked my disk utility and the S.M.A.R.T status is 'failing' so I'm assuming this will have to be taken in to Apple and repaired? no way around it..?
Since I can't back up my computer as the USB ports don't work i'm guessing I'll have to buy a Airport and back it up with time machine over my wifi?

Can anyone let me know if this is correct or any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance, appreciate it! :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

If you can't use the USB and CD-ROM to backup your data, the network is your only option. Usually an external HD is sufficient to backup through Time Machine, but since that won't work for you, the Time Capsule might your best bet..

How old is this Macbook Pro and is it under AppleCare warranty? If so, you want to take it in quickly to have them address all the issues and they should be able to take out the HD, put a new one and restore all of your old data onto the new drive.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
SMART Status tells no lies so don't leave it too long.

OP
A
Reaction score
Thanks so much Ashwin for your reply :D

My Macbook Pro is about 3 years old and isn't under warranty anymore unfortunetly
So are they able to restore all my data onto my new drive without me having to buy the airport time capsule? as that would be perfect as I already have an external hard drive that I use to back up my Mac

I also can't get an apple appointment until a week away! hopefully it stays alive until then

Thanks again :)

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
I would definitely call the Apple Store to confirm, but in the past when the hard drives have failed either under warranty or not, usually the data is put back on..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.