Xfer Kindle Books from Mac to iPad?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
17" mid 2010 MBP El Capitan 10.11.6; iPad Air 2 iOS 9
I was previously reading Kindle books in the "Kindle for Mac" app. I just purchased an iPad Air 2, so now I would like to read those books on my iPad, instead of my Mac.

We have a limited bandwidth, so I am wondering whether it is possible to transfer Kindle books directly from a Mac to an iPad? If so, how?

Thanks,
Bev in TX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
Just log into the Kindle app on your iPad and all the books will sync. Kindle books tend to be quite small but if you're worried about bandwidth just connect to public wifi, a helpful friends wifi etc and download there.

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...if you're worried about bandwidth just connect to public wifi...
We live in the country and all of us have limited bandwidth.

Doesn't using passwords on a public wifi have security issues? I'd use the library's wifi if I could resolve that issue.

Another thing, in Kindle for Mac it does not automatically download content. That is, the archived list shows books that have NOT been downloaded yet. On my Mac I have to individually download every file. Even when logged into Amazon's "Manage Your Content and Devices", it only allows selecting 10 books at a time. I have around 2000 books, so this is rather problematic. Are you saying that the "Kindle for iPad" handles this differently? I'm hesitant to even open "Kindle for iPad" in case it really does automatically download everything.

It would be much easier if there would be a way in which to copy the files directly from my Mac to the iPad.

Bev in TX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini i5 (2014 High Sierra), iPhone X, Apple Watch, iPad Pro 12.9, AppleTV (4)
OK.

Can you copy direct between the Kindle apps? No.

Do all your titles auto-download on the iPad? No, you select the ones you want to download. Would you really want to download you're entire 2000+ library?

You can log into your Kindle app on your iPad at home then sync books on other wifi. There's little risk doing this as you won't be re-entering your password on public wifi. Perhaps consider using a VPN for greater public wifi security?

When you say 'limited', do you mean in quantity or quality? I.e. do you mean you have a fixed amount you can use each month? (quantity) or do you mean it's slow? (quality)

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OK.

...Would you really want to download you're entire 2000+ library?

You can log into your Kindle app on your iPad at home then sync books on other wifi. ... Perhaps consider using a VPN for greater public wifi security?

When you say 'limited', do you mean in quantity or quality? ...
Yes, I want to download the entire library, as I want to be able to read anything when I'm disconnected from the Internet.

If I download via "Kindle for Mac", then I would be limited to downloading one file at a time (2000 separate downloads). I was referring to logging into Amazon.com & downloading 10 files at a time (200 separate downloads). That could not be done at home.

I'm not familiar with using a VPN to public computers. How is this done?

By limited I mean our monthly data quota/bandwidth is smaller than the majority of folks nowadays (we have a satellite ISP).

Bev in TX

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I was referring to logging into Amazon.com & downloading 10 files at a time (200 separate downloads). That could not be done at home.
I'm afraid I don't know what you mean. You manage downloads on your device/Mac not from Amazon.com
You log into the app and select the books you wish to download, on iPad you touch each one. I'm not in front of my Mac just now and can't remember how the Mac app works precisely. But can check later.

I'm not familiar with using a VPN to public computers. How is this done?
Again, I'm a little confused but in this instance, you connect to library wifi, startup the VPN on your iPad selecting a US end point.

Reaction score
You can't.

Let me explain library wifi systems require you to log in via a web site not by wifi password.

as for downloading it shouldn't take long at all most kindle books are 1 meg two 3 megs max

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
... You manage downloads on your device/Mac not from Amazon.com...

Again, I'm a little confused but in this instance, you connect to library wifi, startup the VPN on your iPad selecting a US end point.
You can also download files by going to Amazon.com, "Manage Your Content and Devices" (requires you to login), select up to 10 books, click the Deliver button at the top, if necessary select the appropriate device and click Deliver in the pop up dialog. As I mentioned, if you download in "Kindle for Mac", then you can only download one (1) book at a time, which would be a more onerous task.

The iPad documentation says the following about VPN, "A VPN (virtual private network) provides secure access over the Internet to private networks, such as the network at your organization. You may need to install a VPN app from the App*Store that configures iPad to access a network. Contact your system administrator for information about the app and settings you need.”

There is no automatic accessing of a VPN, so you (or someone else) must have configured VPN on your iPad. I have no idea as to what software I would need. I also don't know how to get a list of US VPN end points.

Bev in TX

Reaction score
However if you want to create your own books for kindle go and download calibre its for mac open source and allows you to turn any pdf into a kindle book

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.