First mac, looking for advice on cheap 2nd hand

OP
wicker_man
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.2GHz/4GB/250GB, G4 Cube 450MHz + 17" Studio LCD
I decided I couldn't wait, and decided to get an iMac G3.

Somebody was selling it for £10- A Grape iMac G3 (DV I think) 400MHz, 64MB RAM, 10GB HDD, slot load DVD drive, 2 firewire ports, original keyboard and round mouse. It's running OS 9.0.3.

Plan to upgrade the RAM, HDD and install OS X Panther on it and enjoy :)

L

lil

Well for £10, you got a bargain so I cannot argue with that :flower:

Considering you didn't pay anything really for it, it was worthwhile doing so! Plus uber cool colour :flower:

I may get get my folks an iMac G3 or eMac for when they move house, something nice and easy for them to get online with and type letters etc.

Vicky

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
AppleProTower mid 2012 - Quicksilver G4 , 1.4MHz, OS10.5.8
I find these ten-year-old posts interesting. Since I've been opening up and souping up my Macs since 1986, Meinself would*recommend, you look for a good used mid 2012 Apple PRO Tower. It will handle nearly anything you throw at it. And, it is internally accessable. You can install different PCI boards, etc. The Current Pro Towers, are IMNSHO, "Plastic Waste Baskets." After trying three different Lap Tops, this ole curmudgeon finds everything since the G3 Pismo to be too fragile and maddening to acess the workings. Even changing a hard drive is an exacting chore for my glove size X-large hands.
Was scared off of the G-7s by all of the posts of persons with major problems.
HOWEVER, the Newer iMacs use very little computer desk real-estate. BUT, I'd Keep the Extended warrranty for at least 3 years. Trying to open one of them up to repair, could result in a Basket Case. Made my Souped up Quicksilver G4's last eight years. Still using one purposely off line for my financial info.:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.