Reinstalling Applications from a backup

Reaction score
can I click and drag an application from a back-up onto a new OS system? I had to erase my HD after being Hacked and now have reinstalled the new OS?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Patrick what applications are you talking about exactly? Larger apps probably not and MS office etc definately not.

If the backup is okay and in an externl caddy and connected, go to Utilities > Migration Assistant and use that. Office and some Adobe suites may require re-activation so keep the codes handy.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks Harryb2448.. Family Tree Maker 3 (genealogy program, Microsoft Office and PDF Studio 9 are the specific applications! From your kind answer, it looks like I will have to work at this. Thank you so very much!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Think the best option is a clean install and activation Partrick. By the way, why the unusual spelling? Is it something Gaelic? A friend of mine's parents spelt his given name as Micheal, the Gaelic way.

OP
P
Reaction score
What a Hornet's nest??? The spelling has caused every owner to spend his/her life correcting the spelling from Patrick.... I've done extensive research, as have others.... all to the conclusion of: nobody knows... Partrick is probably Gaelic but winding up somehow in Scotland and winding up in England eventually to North America in the 1609 vicinity... It is still not common in the US but there are a few of us around. At the 37 pairs level, the closest DNA association that I have is three degrees of separation... Regards, Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You know Jerry, my Lancashire Grandmother who raised me believed the Roman Emperor Hadrian was the last good politician as he built a wall acroos England to keep the Picts and the Scots out. Didn't work however!!

M

MacInWin

Some argue Hadrian built it too far North, others think it's too far south. Depends on which side you are, I suppose.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Don't matter Jake it never worked!

M

MacInWin

Heh! Too short, I suppose. Those Scots and Picts were pretty good climbers! (So were the English, if you're of the OTHER persuasion.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Rule Number One Jake from my Grandmother:-

Never ever trust a man in a skirt!!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.