iPhone charging flashes on and off when plugged into Macbook Air

Reaction score
Hello,

When I plug my iPhone 4 into my Macbook Air, the charging symbol starts rapidly flashing on and off and iTunes pops up with an infinite supply of "iTunes could not connect to this iPhone. The device is no longer connected" windows. Does anyone know why it might be doing this?

Btw, this does not happen when I plug the iPhone into an outlet.

Thanks in advance.

OP
E
Reaction score
Oh yeah, forgot to mention I plugged a mouse into the USB slot and it worked fine, so I don't think the USB port is broken.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Btw, this does not happen when I plug the iPhone into an outlet.

If the iPhone charges OK with the same cable from an AC outlet, the cable is probably OK. The error you're getting may be that your iPhone is unable to charge from the USB port of your MBA. I can not charge my iPhone from my Apple keyboard ports but it will charge from the rear ports on my iMac. There's not enough current from some USB ports to charge mobile devices.

Reaction score
I had this problem and i changed the usb port that i was using and it was fine.

Try different usb ports on your MBP before changing your cable.

When searching the net, there wasn't much info about this issue.

My guess is it must be a power problem in the usb port.

Reaction score
Charging issues with iPhone

If the iPhone charges OK with the same cable from an AC outlet, the cable is probably OK. The error you're getting may be that your iPhone is unable to charge from the USB port of your MBA. I can not charge my iPhone from my Apple keyboard ports but it will charge from the rear ports on my iMac. There's not enough current from some USB ports to charge mobile devices.

"I had the same issue with my iPhone just now and first tried the reboot- didn't work. Then I realized I was using an after-market charger cable. I found the cable that came with my phone and plugged that into my Mac. Works perfectly now

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.