Macbook pro keyboard stopped working

OP
S
Reaction score
I am using a usb keyboard just now. I have tried resetting NVRAM. Haven't tried resetting SMC. Will try that.

Thanks Pigoo3.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi Nick,

Tried resetting both NVRAM and SMC. No luck. I find that the trackpad is very unstable as well and indeed my whole system seems very slow to do anything. Takes about 2min to open Safari for example.

This is a mid 2009 Macbook Pro. Only 2gb of ram and 250gb HD. My HD is Half full.

Sad thing is I was just going to order 8gb of ram and a new 500gb sad and a new battery and give it to my wife but unless I can fix the keyboard problem there isn't much point.

Thanks,

Frank

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
It's very possible since the trackpad is involved also (and an external keyboard works fine)...that you could have a swollen battery. It does happen from time to time. To confirm...see if you notice any bulging of the computers lower case. Otherwise the computer may have to be opened to check.

By the way. Great that you mentioned getting a new battery before giving the computer to the wife. If the current battery is bulging...it's gonna need one regardless!;)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.