How can I stop a program from starting up?

Reaction score
Whenever we open a students laptop, certain programs start up right away, like Powerpoint. I know I'm supposed to go into Accounts and uncheck, but I can't access the User for that.

Can anyone help?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Give this a try:

- Apple Menu
- System Preferences
- Users & Groups
- If this computer has multiple accounts on it...click on the account of concern in the left side of this window.
- Now click on the "Login Items" tab in the upper right area of the window.
- The apps listed here should be the ones that auto start (hopefully):)
- Now select & delete as desired.

HTH,

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The problem is that the account of concern is grayed.

Ok I see now. You did mention this in post #1.:)

When you go to the "Users & Groups" preference as I described above. Click on the "Padlock" in the lower left of the window. Enter the password to unlock the padlock. This should turn that gray account into one that you can click on & delete.

- Nick

OP
U
Reaction score
So what I see now is that I can choose Guest or User but I don't have the Login Items tab. Any idea why?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
So what I see now is that I can choose Guest or User but I don't have the Login Items tab. Any idea why?

Every Mac should have an "Admin" account. Maybe "User" is the name given to the admin account. But it should say "admin" in a smaller font below the account name.

Also…what OS version is on this computer?

- Nick

OP
U
Reaction score
Admin. is separate. I can't change any of it if I'm not logged in that way.

Using Yosemite.

C

chas_m

1. Boot the laptop. Let all those stupid programs open.
2. Wait until everything's opened. Now right-click (or control-click) on the program's icon in the dock.
3. One of the options (under "Options") will be "Open at Login" and have a checkmark next to it. Select it again and the check mark will be gone.
4. Repeat for each of the unwanted programs.

That's it! They won't reload automatically the next time you restart, but are still on the machine and can be invoked normally as needed.

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
U
Reaction score
1. Boot the laptop. Let all those stupid programs open.
2. Wait until everything's opened. Now right-click (or control-click) on the program's icon in the dock.
3. One of the options (under "Options") will be "Open at Login" and have a checkmark next to it. Select it again and the check mark will be gone.
4. Repeat for each of the unwanted programs.

That's it! They won't reload automatically the next time you restart, but are still on the machine and can be invoked normally as needed.

You got! That's it!! Wow, what an easy solution. Thanks sooo much!:Cool:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.