Asking Advice on Possible Bad Graphics Card (GPU)

Reaction score
Asking Advice on Possible Bad Graphics Card (GPU)

I've been dealing with some large scale issues on my 27" iMac and I'm looking for feedback on whether I'm on the right track for a solution. It began last year, and I had the problem resolved for a while after taking it to an Apple Store while it was still under the 3 year Apple Care coverage. That has since expired. The problems are now back, worse than before, to the point that I can barely keep the system going long enough to post this. The symptoms have been:
• Thousands of small, multi-colored, pixellated squares scattered across my monitor, randomly appearing.
• These squares are often blinking as large groups, while other areas of the squares will remain static.
• Vertical and horizontal lines, sometimes broad, other times only a pixel or two in width.
• Large irregular geometric shaped areas of solid black, white or color, sometimes static, other times blinking.
• Occasionally on restart my desktop icons and icon bar will render as solid gray areas, forcing another restart.
• Frequent screen lock-ups, especially when doing anything requiring the screen to redraw. This happens most in Logic, where the playhead is moving and the graphic of the sound wave is being rendered. Just a complete freeze, then either a blank white screen with an auto restart, or I have to do a forced shutdown, then restart.
It's happening so much now, I can't do anything more resource intensive than type this in TextEdit, hoping I can launch my browser and post it on some forums.

Mine is a 2011 series iMac, 27", and I know there was a problem with the GPUs during that time, where Apple did a recall and offered free GPU replacements. My serial number is outside the range for those qualifying for the replacement program, but I'm nearly 100% sure my GPU is the problem.

What I'd like is a few opinions, based on the symptoms outlined here, on whether my diagnosis right, and what a good GPU replacement would be. I went into mine today, pulled the GPU and re-seated it, blew out a lot of dust accumulation, hoping these things would help, but they didn't. So I've been in there, and know the process. I just need advice on those two things.

Thanks for any and all help.

Cayce

Processor 2.93 GHz Intel Core i7
Memory 8 GB 1333 MHz DDR3
Graphics ATI Radeon HD 5750 1024 MB
Software OS X 10.8.5 (12F45)

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
The first thing I would do is take the machine back to Apple and state your case. There's a chance that they may decide to replace the graphics card for you for free. Otherwise your choices are:

1. Remove the graphics card, bake it in a home oven (reflow method), cost is free.

2. Get on eBay and find another graphics card to replace yours. Will be expensive - probably $300 or more for a replacement.

And do some research on the subject - lots of info out there. ;)

OP
C
Reaction score
I've done extensive research... just wanting a final few opinions.

About that "bake in a home oven"... are you serious?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Way... way too many specs to list.
it's a somewhat successful reflow method. It's drastically inferior to cleaning the board and reballing it.. but, most people don't have the equipment or skill to do that.

Oh and just because the GPU is dead, doesn't mean it's the same fault that caused a replacement program. Don't be surprised if Apple says no.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.