I need OSX mavericks

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You can't - Apple ceases to make available old versions once a new one is released. The only exception to this is if you had downloaded the old version which will still show up under the "purchased" tab.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
There is an alternative to the Mac App Store since Mavericks is currently not available there.

Mavericks (when it was available) was a free download for anyone that wanted it. I don't know what the legality of this is…but there are "creative folks" on eBay who are selling Mavericks on a USB thumb drive. If you don't mind paying $15-$20 for what Apple was giving away for free…you can get Mavericks via eBay.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
It still shows under Purchases, with Download button active, in my AppStore, but then I'm running Mavericks.

Haven't tried clicking on it, as I have a backup and installer (on that cute little 8GB Apple flash drive, that came with my wife's 2010 MBAir11).

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17•David;1636493 said:
It still shows under Purchases, with Download button active, in my AppStore, but then I'm running Mavericks.

Exactly!:) If someone downloaded Mavericks before it was pulled...then it still shows up under "Purchases". For folks that never downloaded Mavericks (and want/need it now)...it does not show up.

- Nick

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP17 8GB/1.9TB 2xSSDs Sierra • MBA11 4/128GB • TC 2TB • TV3 • iPh6 128GB • iPadPro12
... If someone downloaded Mavericks before it was pulled...then it still shows up under "Purchases"...

Excellent, thanks for clarifying that ... although, there goes my hope of having a magical MBP with a secret link into the past ;)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
...there goes my hope of having a magical MBP with a secret link into the past ;)

If you want an Apple laptop with a secret link to the past…get one of these::):)

images

- Nick

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
If you want an Apple laptop with a secret link to the past…get one of these::):)

images

- Nick

Oh boy, I haven't seen those for a while.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I see two of these every day. Haven't tried to boot them in a while. I think they are both dead.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

images

:Cool: I remember a chap, who wasn't happy with a colour choice of translucent bits, so he had them painted chrome ... never seen a more miserably hideous laptop, when it started to peel a few months later :Oops:

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
You can't - Apple ceases to make available old versions once a new one is released. The only exception to this is if you had downloaded the old version which will still show up under the "purchased" tab.

Whilst that is quite definitely true of Mavericks, it is still possible to purchase Lion & Mountain Lion via the Apple Store. I know the OP wanted Mavericks—just saying.

Ian

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Whilst that is quite definitely true of Mavericks, it is still possible to purchase Lion & Mountain Lion via the Apple Store. I know the OP wanted Mavericks—just saying.

Ian
Well, I didn't know that was the case. Thanks for the info!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs

How do we know the OP isn't already running Mountain Lion??:) We don't of course…OP hasn't told us much…or made any replies. Some folks are "super cheap" as well. Mavericks & Yosemite are free…Lion & Mountain Lion cost money.

I'm amazed how many users are willing to upgrade their OS in a heartbeat if the OS upgrade is free. But ask them to spend a paltry sum of $19.99USD…and they turn their nose up at the suggestion.

Sometimes I think that Apple should have continued to charge $129 for OS upgrades (like they did for OS 10.5)…and probably more now. Then when folks think of doing an OS upgrade…they do some SERIOUS research first…and REALLY commit to the idea.

This free OS upgrade stuff just makes many folks "lazy" when considering an OS upgrade. Upgrading the OS is a serious matter. Look at how many folks do it…and then are not happy later:

- This OS version stinks.
- The OS looks terrible.
- I hate this OS version.
- etc.

When folks had to pay $129 for an OS upgrade…the review folks in the media at least had some time to write decent review articles…and have a fair amount of hands on time to get to know the OS upgrade. Now all the review folks have to rush to write a review within 24 hours just to keep up with the competition. Sure I realize that many of the review folks may get advanced copies of new OS versions. But I still don't think that the reviewers get enough hands on time to do a proper review.

Heck. Even if Apple had charged $19.99 for Mavericks & Yosemite. Many folks probably wouldn't have upgraded so quickly…or at least did a little more research before spending the $19.99 and doing the upgrade.:)

Much of this may not apply to the OP. Just thinking out loud...freely putting my random thoughts on "paper"!;)

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
LOL, Nick... I can't even remember how many times I was "ripped off" by Microsoft by paying a $100 or more for one of their operating systems. Windows ME and NT4 are just two that come to mind. I've never felt ripped off by any version of OS X.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
LOL, Nick... I can't even remember how many times I was "ripped off" by Microsoft by paying a $100 or more for one of their operating systems. Windows ME and NT4 are just two that come to mind. I've never felt ripped off by any version of OS X.

I'm sure there were some folks who did spend $100+ for a Mac OS upgrade...and weren't very happy (can't make everyone happy...nothings ever perfect)!;)

What I was mostly thinking was. These free OS upgrades make it too easy (and tempting) to upgrade the OS. And many folks doing it probably shouldn't be without doing a little more thought and research. Even a small price tag would probably get many of these folks to "slow down"...and think first (not a knee-jerk reaction)!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.