Buying a 2012 IMAC for music production and video editing

Reaction score
Hi guys

Ive found an Imac that I want to buy, its a little bit older but it looks ok. However, Id like to upgrade the hard drive. This is the link to the listing

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Apple-iMac-21-5-Desktop-MD093X-A-November-2012-Latest-Model-/301422502031?pt=AU_Computers_Apple_Desktops&hash=item462e2e608f

Can anyone tell me if this is possible put an ssd in there? Is it tricky for an amateur to do?

Also, does anyone have any advice about this model. e.g reports of over-heating, slow processing etc. Any advice would be really appreciated

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
21 M1 Pro 14" MBP, 23 M2 Pro Mac Mini (MacOS 14), iPhone 15 Pro Max (iOS 17), iPad 6 (iPadOS 17)
I don't think the post 2012 iMacs are really user serviceable. Even upgrading the RAM on the 21.5" model requires a strip down.

Everything is doable of course, but I wouldn't like to attempt to tear down an iMac as it will require debonding the screen from the body.

Take a look at fixit.com

OP
D
Reaction score
I don't think the post 2012 iMacs are really user serviceable. Even upgrading the RAM on the 21.5" model requires a strip down.

Everything is doable of course, but I wouldn't like to attempt to tear down an iMac as it will require debonding the screen from the body.

Take a look at fixit.com

Thanks mate

It comes with 8gb which might be enough but Im just wondering if its possible to upgrade the hard drive on this model...?

EDIT: This model seems nearly impossible to upgrade the hard-drive. But will a 5400rpm standard hard drive really be that bad??

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.