Unable to remove partition

Reaction score
Hi all, I have a disk error and need to reinstall OS X.

I boot into recovery, select my language, choose disk utility. Here I see my apple drive (labelled 1 TB APPLE SSD SM1024..). Within this drive there are 2 partitions, Macintosh HD and BOOTCAMP. Macintosh HD is greyed out to signal an error. Running a repair disk in the drive gives the error "Error:Live file system repair is not supported". Trying to change the partition layout back to a single partition, (by selecting 1 partition from partition layout, format Mac OS Extended Journaled) gives the error 'Partition Failed with the error: Couldn't unmount disk.' Trying to remove the bootcamp partition gives the same error.

Trying to re-install OS X is not possible as only one disk is offered as an option to install to (the 650 MB recovery HD).

I have tried to install OS X via a USB by using these instructions.
How to make a bootable OS X 10.10 Yosemite install drive | Macworld

And still get the same 'Partition Failed with the error: Couldn't unmount disk.'

Volume erase also fails with the same error

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What version of OS X is on the machine now? Also, as a matter of information, you can not remove a Boot Camp partition that way. You need to run the Boot Camp assistant from OS X and remove the Boot Camp partition from the remove option that's given. Read through the Boot Camp instructions.

OP
R
Reaction score
What version of OS X is on the machine now? Also, as a matter of information, you can not remove a Boot Camp partition that way. You need to run the Boot Camp assistant from OS X and remove the Boot Camp partition from the remove option that's given. Read through the Boot Camp instructions.

Hi. The Mac is on 10.10. I noticed that the recovery partition had 10.9 in its name. Eventually it let me remove the Mac partition and am currently restoring from a time machine back up. Will let you know how it goes.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
OK, sounds good. Remember though, if you need to remove the Boot Camp partition you need to use the Boot Camp assistant to do it.

OP
R
Reaction score
Well, the os install was quite error prone. Spoke to tech support and they have offered to replace the machine, so have will be having an i7 to replace my slightly older i5.

But thanks for the help, didn't know you couldn't remove a bootcamp partition via the disk manager.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.