New Black Boot Screen

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro with Retina Display: Core i7 2.3GHz, 16GB, 256GB, Mountain Lion
I have a 2012 retina MacBook Pro running Yosemite. When I updated, I got the new black boot screen, and I liked it. I was connected to a secondary display about a week ago and had to hard reboot the machine. upon reboot, it went to the gray boot screen, But it was also displaying at the wrong resollution, I did a NVRAM reset and that fixed the resolution, but I still can't get the Black boot screen back. Any Ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 27" i7 3.5GHz 24GB 3T Fusion HD - 10.10.2b MBP 13" 8GB, 240GB SSD - 10.10.2b iPad Air iOS 8.1.2
Black vs Gray Startup Screen

I would love to figure out or at least read an explanation about how Yosemite chooses the background color of the boot screen. It is black on my 2013 iMac and gray on my 2013 MacBook Pro. Both machines are configured as identical as I can make them. I researched it a while ago and posted in some forums and only got what seemed to be "are you crazy" responses, lol. And I too like the black better then the gray too.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.