Make Preview my default viewer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac late 2014, 3TB Fusion drive, with 3.4Ghz Intel core i7 @ 32gig DDR3+ Thunderbold Display
Can you help a newbie.
I have a lot of scanned tiff & jpg images on my imac, although I have various viewers on my machine how can I make Preview my delault image viewer.
using OSX 10.10.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1286 MBP5,3 running 10.9.5, iphone6, Mac mini1,1 A1176 120/2gb
Since I don't use Yosemite, try this. highlight one image, use command + I to see the properties. On the lower part of the information box "Opens with" can be changed to the application. Choose the one you want to use and then check "Change all" Try that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Since I don't use Yosemite, try this. highlight one image, use command + I to see the properties. On the lower part of the information box "Opens with" can be changed to the application. Choose the one you want to use and then check "Change all" Try that.

@ Bob m - works the same in Yosemite as described above. Below are a couple of screen captures of an image's information (using the command given or right clicking and selecting 'Get Information'). Using the drop down menu (blue arrow), the app choices opens (right image) and the default app can be selected; if you want this to be the global default, then also click on 'Change All' (red arrow). Dave :)

Screen Shot 2015-01-23 at 12.48.30 PM.png

OP
B
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" iMac late 2014, 3TB Fusion drive, with 3.4Ghz Intel core i7 @ 32gig DDR3+ Thunderbold Display
Gents.
Thanks for your help, that sorted it out.

Bob M

Reaction score
Your answer is a little out of date for Sierra.
I found the correct answer here from Amy Goodloe: http://digitalwriting101.net/content/how-to-make-preview-the-default-pdf-reader-on-a-mac/
Start here and the rest is obvious:
(1) Find the file in your Finder and right-click (or control-click) on it to access the contextual menu. Select “Get Info.”

In the attachment the red arrow points to the place to change from Adobe to Preview.
The black arrow points to where you can make Preview your default for all Pdfs.

Hope this helps as this is one of the top answers I got when I searched the web.
Thanks to all,
SunLee Preview default.jpg

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Your answer is a little out of date for Sierra.
I found the correct answer here from Amy Goodloe: http://digitalwriting101.net/content/how-to-make-preview-the-default-pdf-reader-on-a-mac/............

Hi SunLee - welcome to the forum! :) First, you responded to a 2 year old final post when Sierra had not been released - the previous guidelines given were not 'out of date' at that time for an older macOS. Second, I'm now on Sierra and the steps are basically the same - see below - 'Get Info' on an image is shown - changing the 'Default' is the same (the double blue arrow) and 'Change All' can be selected as before. So nothing new has really happened in this process. Dave :)
Screen Shot 2017-01-04 at 6.49.26 PM.png

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
Dave is absolutely correct. The process he originally described is still current in macOS Sierra and has been around for a very long time (e.g., it's the same on my older iMac running Mavericks).

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.