cd drive often runs for a second during sleep

Reaction score
Shouldn't sleep = shut down, except for the speed of wake up? Why does my cd drive buzz now and then during sleep? Is it normal?
OS 10.10.1, on my iMac 24 inch, Early 2008, 2.8 GHz Intel Dore 2 Duo, 2 GB 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
If your optical drive is running occasionally (when you think it's sleeping)…my guess is it's really not sleeping. And if it's not sleeping…that's a different question.;)

- Nick

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Shouldn't sleep = shut down...

And I would suggest not using terminology that could be confusing to some folks.:) "Sleep" and "Shutdown" (in the Macintosh computer world)..mean VERY specific things (especially with this topic).

Check the Apple drop down menu if you're not sure what I mean.;)

- Nick

OP
C
Reaction score
what is sleep?

Thanks for reply. Been very ill, thus delay. That's what I feared, is that it's not really sleeping as per apple menu item "Sleep." Until Yosemite, it always did. So on to your next question, if it is not, why not, when I always assumed I was putting it to sleep when I used the Apple menu.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.