iMac suddenly takes half an hour to turn off!?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" Mid 2011 iMac running OSX 10.9.2 | 2.7GHz Inter Core i5 | 8GB Ram | w/External 32" Monitor
Hi there, I've currently got a mid 2011 27" iMac running OS X Yosemite Version 10.10.2

All is well usually, I really try and look after my mac ( I use it to work from home so can't afford not to ), however today it's acted up completely out of the blue.

I haven't changed anything/installed/uninstalled anything, but I finished some work earlier, turned the Mac off completely ( or so I thought ), went downstairs to make a cup of tea and chat with the wife. Came up half an hour later as I was going to turn it back on and quickly do something, when I noticed that it was still on the black screen with the really faint spinning logo in the bottom third of the screen ( the screen that usually shows for a split second before it's completely turned off. )

Can anyone shed some light on what on earth is going on here? It works absolutely fine when turned on, a tad more sluggish booting up admittedly than what it usually is, but seems to run fine. Really worrying me though that it seems to be struggling to boot down...

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Assuming that the machine is now booted try the following:

1. Use Disk Utility to check your hard drive (see directions here). Ignore everything below the word Terminal.
2. While there verify permissions in the same tab,
3. Quit Disk Utility and attempt to shut down the Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.