Iomega external drive not recognised by Yosemite

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mini late 2012 2.5ghz i5 osx 10.9.5 500gb 16gb ram and iMac 27" mid 2010 i7 2.93Ghz OS X 10.10.1
My Iomega 320gb - 5 yr old - external hd (externally powered) drive is not seen by Yosemite following upgrade on my iMac i7 mid 2010. It is not visible on disc utility nor is it reported on sys info. I have tried different usb's and unplugged other usb's. It works fine on mavericks on my mac mini. I have reformatted it from msdos to mac journal on the mac mini and it is still not recognised. This must be a Yosemite issue but Iomega site is no help. It looks like Yosemite needs a driver to recognise it maybe. Any ideas guys?

Last edited:
C

chas_m

This is not a Zip drive, this is just a hard drive -- like any other hard drive. It's not a driver issue. My Iomega 1.5TB unit mounts just fine in Yosemite.

There is something else going on there. I'm sorry I don't know what, but something is definitely fishy.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is a strange issue indeed. I will search around and see if i can find anything. My older 1TB Iomega mounts fine on my iMac with 10.10.1 and the Beta of 10.10.2.

I am using it via Firewire 800 though and not USB. I will try USB just in case and report back although my other externals that do use USB all work.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Your iOmega drive may be failing (it's 5 years old) because it's definitely not Yosemite. I have an iOmega external that works just fine with Yosemite. As a matter of fact my drive is the one with 3 connections; FW 800, FW 400, and USB 2.0.

Reaction score
iomega yosemite problems

That is a strange issue indeed. I will search around and see if i can find anything. My older 1TB Iomega mounts fine on my iMac with 10.10.1 and the Beta of 10.10.2.

I am using it via Firewire 800 though and not USB. I will try USB just in case and report back although my other externals that do use USB all work.

I have the same issue with migrating my iomega drive - works fine on Mac mini - to my Mac air. Was there any consolidation of the many instances where people mention this, was there any resolution?

to be clear : iomega external drive that works fine on my mac mini is not recognised on my mac air (2012 4g running yosemite). The drive does not appear in disk utility. Connected via usb. Any ideas welcome.

thanks

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.