Audio port not working

Reaction score
I have a MacBook Pro. All of a sudden, I cannot use my headphones. The headphones themselves work fine.

I check the sound preferences pane, and only the internal speakers are listed. How can I get that option back?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
I have a MacBook Pro. All of a sudden, I cannot use my headphones. The headphones themselves work fine.

I check the sound preferences pane, and only the internal speakers are listed. How can I get that option back?

Hello - first, concerning the statement 'the headphones themselves work fine' - did you test them in another machine or w/ your audio equipment? Have you tried another set of headphones on your laptop?

Appears that you have the proper setting in 'System Preferences' - do you have Bluetooth on and possibly paired w/ some external speakers?

Finally if available, use a can of compressed air and gently blow in a few puffs of air - just might be some debris at the bottom of the port. Dave :)

OP
W
Reaction score
Yes, I have tested the headphones in another device, and they work.

I do not have Bluetooth on, and no external speakers.

I will try the compressed air.

Thank you.

OP
W
Reaction score
Have tried compressed air and different headphones: port still does not work.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Air M2 ('22) OS 14.3; M3 iMac ('23) OS 14.3; iPad Pro; iPhone 14
Have tried compressed air and different headphones: port still does not work.

Sorry, but I'm running out of ideas - assume that you've re-booted the computer? Do the internal speakers still work, and if so can their volume be adjusted?

Not sure what MBPro you own but you could look at an iFixit Guide, if available or make a visit to the Apple Genius Bar (if convenient) or an Apple repair service for an estimate, if the problem indeed is a hardware issue.

My only other suggestion if you need headphones is to try an inexpensive set of BT phones - I have the Rocket Fish set below and have used them w/ my iPad, iPod, & MBPro - Dave :)

9246862_ra.jpg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.