Bought old Imac with Snow Leopard. How do I upgrade without buying new OS X?

Reaction score
I am brand new to Macs and I recently purchase a mid 2010 iMac that is in excellent condition. The problem is that I want to upgrade the OS from Snow Leopard but it is registered to the guy I bought it from. Is there a way (legally) to transfer the license to my Apple ID so that I can upgrade to Yosemite?

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Welcome to Mac-Forums..

Ensure that you are running the latest update to Snow Leopard which is 10.6.8. You know you are running this update if you have the Mac App Store in your Dock.

If so, go to the Mac App Store and login as yourself and you should see Yosemite prominently displayed for you to download free of charge.

Once the installer is downloaded, it will try to run to upgrade your machine, you want to break out of it and copy the installer to a USB flash drive using these instructions.

Now, use the USB flash drive to get into the Yosemite installer, erase the hard drive completely and do a fresh install..

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
What exact messages are you seeing? Are you trying to upgrade the OS via the Mac App Store…and are you getting a message about the Apple ID you are entering (your Apple ID)..not being the Apple ID this particular computer is registered with?

This is what the seller of the computer is supposed to do before selling it:

Deauthorize your computer using iTunes - Apple Support

- Nick

OP
N
Reaction score
Thanks, that solved the issue. Like I said, I am new to Mac so I don't know how everything works yet.

Raz0rEdge

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2022 Mac Studio M1 Max, 2023 M2 MBA
Glad that its sorted and we all have to start somewhere..:)

And welcome to the world of Macintosh and OS X..

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.