Error Code 401:Unauthorized: Access is denied due to invalid credentials.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this forum, so please be patient as I try to explain my situation. Thanks!

I have an iMac desktop running OS X 10.6.8. I have an "administrator" account, and a "standard" account for my kids. I had been using "parental controls" in the kid's account, but found I am still running in to the same error no matter whether this account is managed or not.

I receive this error code only in the kid's account and it doesn't matter which browser (Chrome, Safari, Firefox) I am using. This happens on several different webpages.

I know this is some kind of IIS thing (I think), but I am not skilled enough to figure it all out. I found this article at: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/871179 which explains what to do on a PC, but so far I have been unable to find any information about this error on a Mac.

I have also tried setting the standard account to an admin account, but this did not help either. I did restart the computer after I changed the setting. I have also run disk utility and verified and repaired disk permissions.

I'm not sure what to do. Can anyone help with this problem? Thank you!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.