My old iMac won't turn on.

Reaction score
I just plugged in my old iMac, which has been sitting in a closet for several years, and it won't start at all. I'm pretty sure it's a G5 and it looks like this one -- http://www.andybudd.com/archives/images/g5_imac.jpg . I don't remember what the OS is.

I checked the cable and it works fine with a newer iMac.

Can anyone help?

Beth

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini (Late 2014) 2.6GHz Intel Core i5 Memory: 8GB 1600MHz DDR3
I had the same thing happen to an old Mac. I was not able to get it working again. There aren't many options for you. You tested the cable, so I don't think there's much hope. You could take it to a certified shop, if you don't mind spending a little money to find out for sure it it's dead.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I just plugged in my old iMac, which has been sitting in a closet for several years, and it won't start at all. I'm pretty sure it's a G5 and it looks like this one -- http://www.andybudd.com/archives/images/g5_imac.jpg . I don't remember what the OS is. I checked the cable and it works fine with a newer iMac. Can anyone help?

Beth

I just checked Mactracker and it appears it's a 2005 iMac with maybe OS X 10.3.X as its operating system. A machine that old which has been sitting around for several years not in use probably has a dead PRAM battery to begin with. It's difficult to say what else could be wrong with it. Even if the machine was working perfectly when you put it in the closet, it's outmoded since it can not run modern Mac programs. Unless you really want to get it working again, I wouldn't spend a lot of money or time on it.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.