Recovery from Time Machine after changing Os

Reaction score
I'm trying to recover backups on my time machine but it wont let me go back before a certain date .. right about the time I upgraded to Maverick...
Is this possible?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
late 2012 mini w/SSD
Sounds like it's working normally? To get all your files from before you upgraded, you should have used migration assistant. Now you can manually navigate and get the files.
You could try reinstalling, then use migration assistant to get everything.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'm trying to recover backups on my time machine but it wont let me go back before a certain date .. right about the time I upgraded to Maverick...
Is this possible?

The way Time Machine works is...it makes periodic backups. And it keeps doing this until the storage device the backups are stored on gets full. Once the storage device gets full...then Time Machine starts overwriting the oldest backups first (FIFO).

So...if these backups you are trying to recover are from a while ago...it's possible they were overwritten with newer backups.

Keeping in mind that the number of Time Machine backups that can be stored on a storage device depends on how much info is being backed up & how large the storage device is. If someone has a really large storage device...and the amount of "stuff" being backed up is small. Then the age of the backups (further back in time) can be extended.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.