VPN issues

Rod

Reaction score
Melbourne, Australia and Ubud, Bali, Indonesia
Your Mac's Specs
2021 M1 MacBook Pro 14" macOS 14.4.1, Mid 2010MacBook 13" iPhone 13 Pro max, iPad 6, Apple Watch SE.
Hi everyone, I'm having a bit of an issue with my email providers due to my use of a VPN.
Whenever I have my email client open or open it while using a VPN I get a "Suspicious Login Attempt" notification from both Yahoo and now Microsoft.
Yahoo is not really a problem, it is just a notification which it tells me I can ignore if it was me. However my Hotmail and Outlook accounts actually lock me out until I go through a a lengthly verification process involving a recovery address and code.
Naturally I can't find the issue on thief help site and there seems no way to actually speak to a human being regarding this.
Any ideas much appreciated, I'm not even sure where to post this on this site.
Rod

M

MacInWin

I suspect the issue is that MS is looking at your IP and associating it with your email account. What VPN does is to tunnel you through to a different location, which has a different IP than the one they've associated, so they see it as a security issue and put you through the wringer. Other than getting through to a human, I don't know how you can fix it, particularly if your VPN termination on the other end is not fixed at one location. I don't use any internet email servers, so I can't really help beyond providing a theory of why.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.