IMAC 27 Geek squad says bad logic board

Reaction score
I have a mid 2011 I Mac 27....started having some trouble with it shutting down and some graphic issues (green horizontal strips) After a hour on the phone with apple being on hold and getting transferred from one person to another with no results or reasonable result or solution for a repair I took the unit to Best Buy /Geek Squad They have backed up the hard drive and done diagnostic. They have informed me that the graphic board is bad and the graphic board is part of the logic board. They also informed me that they could not make this repair.

Please give your best advice on how this could be handled.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Their analysis sounds on the money to me. We've seen this problem before from other members and those horizontal stripes are a sign of a failure of the graphics hardware. If you aren't under a warranty still, then the logic board will need to be replaced, and that's not cheap. There are some shops that specialize in repairing these logic boards also, but that won't be cheap either. Here's one that does it:
https://www.powerbookmedic.com/mac-service.php

EDIT: I do believe it could also be as simple as a loose or faulty cable connecting the display to the graphics card, which would be an easy and much less expensive fix. You won't really know though until someone opens that iMac up and checks it all out.

C

chas_m

While I personally would not take the word of anybody from Geek Squad (having had -- and heard -- innumerable horror stories), that is not to say that they couldn't be correct, as lifeisabeach notes. Judging from the symptoms you describe, it sounds likely.

If it's the May 2011 model, you probably need to read this:

Apple opens graphics card replacement program for some mid-2011 iMacs | 9to5Mac

BE AWARE that this program may not apply to you and may have ended by now, but if yours is one of the affected models I would certainly have a chat with your nearest Apple Store about it.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Please give your best advice on how this could be handled.

There's always the option of taking it to Apple for the repair. But it ain't going to be cheap!

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.