New Hard Drive Recommendations

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 4,1 --> 5,1 6 Core X5680
Im about to order a new internal hard drive for my Mid 2012 i7 13" Macbook Pro. Anybody have any brand recommendations? Is 7200 RPM good? Or will it get too hot?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
7200rpm drives are fine. As far as a brand recommendation. I've probably seen this question 100+ times…and my same answer always is…just shop for well-known brands, choose the capacity you want, then shop for best price.:)

As an additional thought. Since you are thinking of replacing your MBP's internal HD…you could consider installing an SSD. Of course if you want to install a larger HD for more storage capacity…then you don't want an SSD…since they are MUCH more expensive/gig (unless cost is not an issue)!;)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
7200rpm drives are fine. As far as a brand recommendation. I've probably seen this question 100+ times…and my same answer always is…just shop for well-known brands, choose the capacity you want, then shop for best price.:)

As an additional thought. Since you are thinking of replacing your MBP's internal HD…you could consider installing an SSD. Of course if you want to install a larger HD for more storage capacity…then you don't want an SSD…since they are MUCH more expensive/gig (unless cost is not an issue)!;)

- Nick

Thanks for the reply. Although I would love an SSD, the price would be too high for a 1.5 TB if that even exists yet. Right now I have a 750GB and as far as I know, time machine wont even restore to a drive smaller then what you started with. Im looking at maybe WD or seagate. Toshiba and Hitachi are also good from what I understand.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for the reply. Although I would love an SSD, the price would be too high for a 1.5 TB if that even exists yet.

I hear ya!;) BIG SSD's are expensive. And if more storage capacity is the main goal…then a traditional HD is certainly more economical.

Im looking at maybe WD or seagate. Toshiba and Hitachi are also good from what I understand.

I could probably go with any of them.

- If they were all the exact same capacity…I would go with the lowest price.
- If they were all the exact same capacity & the exact same price…I would probably go with WD first (only because I think I have more of them laying around and installed in my computers).;)

- Nick

OP
R
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I hear ya!;) BIG SSD's are expensive. And if more storage capacity is the main goal…then a traditional HD is certainly more economical.

I could probably go with any of them.

- If they were all the exact same capacity…I would go with the lowest price.
- If they were all the exact same capacity & the exact same price…I would probably go with WD first (only because I think I have more of them laying around and installed in my computers).;)

- Nick
Lol ok thanks. Wow just realized ive been a memeber here for 5 years today.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Lol ok thanks. Wow just realized ive been a memeber here for 5 years today.

Yes…exactly 5 years! Congrats and thanks for being a loyal member!!!:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.