Boot Camp & Partitions

Reaction score
I have a iMac with OS X Yosemite. It has a 1 TB hard Drive and I've successfully installed Boot Camp to run Windows 8.1 as I need software I use for work to run on there. It works perfectly with no issues. Now then, I have a question regarding partitions.

It's currently portioned (Drive D) 900GB for Mac OS and (Drive C) 100GB for Boot Camp/Windows.

Now then, is it possible to create a third partition in the Mac volume (200GB) to be used for Data Storage which will be accessible to read/write by BOTH the Mac & Windows volumes?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It's possible, however, the danger is that it may destroy the Window 8.1 boot sector in the process or may interfere with booting Yosemite. When setting up Boot Camp, it has to be remembered that it only supports one partition other than the normal Yosemite and recovery partitions.

It's probably best to buy an external hard drive, format it to exFAT or even FAT-32 and use it as a common drive for both Yosemite and Windows 8.1.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.