Do I need to keep .dmg files after app is installed?

Reaction score
My hard drive is getting very full. I need to free up space, so looking for any advice where I can make some space...is there a "best approach" way to do this? Perhaps a list of items that are no longer needed after they serve a purpose, such as maybe the .dmg files? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2016 Macbook Pro 512g.15" 16g.ram Ipad2Air 64gb wifi+4g Iphone 6s 64gig
Drag them to trash.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
I used to keep .dmg and zip archives of application downloads around but don't anymore. With good broadband speed it's faster to download them again rather than go through the cycle of finding the download on a DVD then installing updates.

The one thing I do keep around are the files for things that are large downloads such as Office, Toast, etc.

IWT

Reaction score
Born Scotland. Worked all over UK. Live in Wales
Your Mac's Specs
M2 Max Studio Extra, 32GB memory, 4TB, Sonoma 14.4.1 Apple 5K Retina Studio Monitor
As your principal problem is a nearly-full HD, why not use the Search function for the Forum. This has been discussed, and solutions mentioned, on several occasions before. Or, just Google, "Ways of dealing with full HD on Macs" or somesuch.

Ian

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.