Slow iMac - Suspected Board Issue

Reaction score
No matter how many times I re-build/wipe or run disk utility, the iMac continues to run slowly. Strangely, this tends to be just in the start up phase. From initially pushing the power button to the apple coming up, is about 6 minutes. When trying to copy things to/from the hard drive its painfully slow but thats not the only problem! Strangely, Bluetooth seems to have stopped working as well?!

Some very odd problems with an iMac that less than three years old!

Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Most likely a bad logic board it sounds like the logic board is failing because bluetooth is a part of the board and if the bluetooth isn't working most likely the board is dying

Back up your data and get your data off of it a.s.a.p and send it into a apple store for diagnostics

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
When trying to copy things to/from the hard drive its painfully slow...

I would investigate the problem being a bad hard drive first. I know you mentioned other problems...but this is a more low cost area to explore first.

- Nick

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
Sounds like a bad hard drive to me. The bluetooth could be due to the drivers no longer being read and loading properly from the drive.

I don't believe I've seen a long boot time issue come down to it being a problem with the system board.
Boot times in excess of a minute or 2 that isn't solved by a wipe and reinstall of the OS or a defrag of the drive is a dying drive way more often than not.

Last edited:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.