mac maintenance

Reaction score
I have a 6 month old Macbook Air and I'd like to know what is the best way to maintain it. Is it enough to run disk utility now and then? On my old macbook I had installed Onyx which seemed to do more than disk utility. Is there any value in an app like Onyx?

Also, I recently ran disk utility and the permission verification and repair went fine but verify disk did not. An error message said that the disk is corrupt and needs to be repaired by restarting while holding Command + R. I did that and assumed it was repaired. But today I ran disk utility again and the same message appeared. What do you think is the problem and what would you suggest?

thanks!

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
On my old macbook I had installed Onyx which seemed to do more than disk utility. Is there any value in an app like Onyx?

If you had Onyx before...then you should know the answer! Yes...Onyx is a great app for routine maintenance. We recommend it all the time!:)

- Nick

M

MacInWin

Booting holding CMD+r just lets you then run DU again to repair the drive. Did you do that? You didn't say. If that error keeps showing up, it's a pending failure that you need to take back to Apple under AppleCare.

And +1 for Onyx. Get the right version for your version of OS X.

OP
E
Reaction score
thanks for the thumbs up on Onyx

As for the DU, yes, I restarted it with Command + R but got the same error message next time I attempted the verification.

M

MacInWin

Just to be sure, the CMD+R boot, you held down the keys until a screen showed up with an option of where to boot, you selected the Recovery Partition and the boot finished, but you still got that error message? You do have to hold down the keys for a looooong time.

OP
E
Reaction score
Yes, maybe I wasn't doing it correctly. I did the verify task again today, got the error message, restarted with CMD + R and it seems to have been repaired successfully. Checked it later in the day and did not get the error message this time.

Thanks for the help.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.