Message says "blank disk" ,,, but it's not blank

Reaction score
I am running Mavericks 10.9.5 on my MacBook Pro. I received some DVDs had been burned on a MacBook Pro running the same OS.
They were verified, and duplicates were successfully copied to another computer.
But on my laptop, I get the same message with every one I attempt to load: "You have inserted a blank disk."
I read through a bunch of questions and answers related to this, at one point I tried rebooting while holding 32 because for some folks, the problem involved 32 vs 64 kernels ... to no avail.
I'm quite sure the problem is with my laptop, not with the DVDs.
Any insight would be much appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It sounds like your optical drive could do with a cleaning with a cleaning disk plus a few good blasts of air with Blast Off or equivalent with the small tube inserted into the optical drive slot.

Or the drive is kaput…???

OP
W
Reaction score
IMO, drive isn't kaput...

... because other DVDs that I tried are working fine.
BTW, my folks retired in Mill Bay years ago, was just there this summer to watch my kids run the Victoria Marathon. Such a lovely place!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
... because other DVDs that I tried are working fine.
BTW, my folks retired in Mill Bay years ago, was just there this summer to watch my kids run the Victoria Marathon. Such a lovely place!

Oh, then that's different and it sounds like that drive just doesn't like or work with those disks. Quite a common and annoying thing and I don't know if there's a solution other than using a different brand of disk.

But still, a cleaning sure wouldn't hurt. And may just fix the problem…??? ;)

And yes, Mill Bay is a very nice place, especially to retire to, and is just across Saanich Inlet from us, in fact we can see it's shoreline from our house.

OP
W
Reaction score
"blank" DVDs

I plan to try these disks on another computer this weekend - that should give me a clue.
(I've taken the Mill Bay - Brentwood ferry many times going to the airport or the Butchart Gardens -a nice ride, and one that can save a lot of time!):)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.