Slow macbook pro

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac-21.5"(2017):OS Catalina 10.15.2 IOS13.3 iPhone 8+ iPadpro v2
My wife uses a 13" macbook pro (edition 8.1) primarily for web stuff. The other day I used it for some graphics work and found it very slow. I first thought maybe additional memory would help, but even the stock apple apps take forever to load. I cleaned the 500Gb HDD of just about all the video there and deleted other things to bring down the HDD to using less than 150 Gb. I did permissions repair, yet it still takes close to a minute to load Safari after a restart and even longer for iPhoto. I am thinking now that perhaps the HDD is the fault, although the disk verify says OK. Maybe replace it with a SSD? Thoughts? Suggestions?

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
...yet it still takes close to a minute to load Safari after a restart and even longer for iPhoto.

Given that you freed up a good bit of HD space. If its taking this long for an app to load after a reboot...I would suspect something is wrong with the HD.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.