Drive space problem with new Hard Drive.

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to Mac forums, so if I did something wrong with the Subject, please excuse :)

This is my problem:

I have a Macbook Pro, details are:
OS X Yosemite V 10.10.1
MacBook Pro: (13-inch, Late 2011)
Processor: 2.4 GHz Intel Core i5
Memory: 10 GB 1333 MHz DDR3

My original Hard drive was dying, it had 500 GB space. So, I cloned it to a new drive with 1 TB space using Acronis.
After installing the new drive, everything else works fine, but I can't see space more than 500 GB.

Please see these screens:

This is the main Disk. Error is: This disk doesn't contain EFI system.

Macintosh_HD1.jpg

This disk shows space as 500 gb and free space of 55 GB.
Macintosh_HD2.jpg

Now this is the disk with left over 500 GB. I can't partition it.
Macintosh_HD3.jpg

Please help me. Thanks.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
It looks like you have two problems:
- Acronis wasn't able to create a bootable clone
- the new drive wasn't partitioned/formatted properly,

Edit:
Just a quick google search shows Acronis doesn't support cloning unless they updated it from the post date:
https://forum.acronis.com/forum/9642

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
And for goodness sakes, why would you want to use Acronis True Image which is a long standing Windows cloning and backup program to clone your Mac? I realize that Acronis has a version for the Mac, but from what I've seen of it, it's not ready for prime time use in OS X. Next time use a well groomed OS X tool such as Carbon Copy Cloner.

M

MacInWin

So at this point what I would do would be to backup your new drive to an external using something like Time Machine, or Carbon Copy Cloner (but don't do a drive clone, do a backup). Then reboot to the internet following this. Reinstall OS X, doing a partition/format of the drive, creating one large partition on it, then restore from the backup using Migration Assistant once it boots. That should get your space back.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.