Not able to access the internet!

E

enygma

If anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

In the TCP/IP (ISP) window I see my ip address, the subnet mask, as well as the router address, i'm connected from a linksys router through a ethernet cable, i have also tried connecting directy from the modem (using earthlink dsl service). I've done the whole reboot thing, and I'm still not able to access the internet, what am I doing wrong? Currently running OS 8.6

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open Control Panels and then TCP/IP. Connect Via should be Ethernet, Configure should be set to DHCP. Then you close it and it will ask you to save or not. That should work. Does the Router/DSL Modem work with other systems? What is the IP Address, Subnet Mask ETC you see under TCP/IP???

I just fired up an old Power Mac here with 8.6 on SBC DSL through my Linksys router. The router assigns the IP Address and all comes alive.

Again, post the IP and other info.

OP
E

enygma

The modem and router are connected to this pc, which is working fine. I tried what you posted, still getting access failed error. ip address is 192.168.1.101, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, router address 192.168.1.1, name server addr 192.68.1.1

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro 8x3.0ghz 12gb ram 8800GT , MBP 2.16 2GB Ram 17 inch.
If you go to your router.. which you should be able to access since you are getting and ip from it, what is the ip address that it states for being the external ip?

OP
E

enygma

I have a linksys router, where would i find that info, i have the internet ip, which is 68.89.136.66, but pretty much the only info i'm pulling from the router.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.