Time Machine won't travel back in time.

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I suspect this may be a common problem, but as yet, I've not been able to find the answer from various searches that I've been doing - and I'm not especially technically proficient, so I could really use some help. I decided to wipe clean and completely restore my macbook pro. I backed up to my external hard drive before I did so (using Time Machine). All works fine, but when I enter Time Machine, it won't allow me to scroll back in time and select my previous back-ups. I'd really like to manually restore things like iPhoto and iTunes. Can anyone help?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You can't scroll back. Since you wiped your drive and reinstalled, the only thing you have now from Time Machine is the current full backup which you made. However, you should be able to restore your photos and music (iPhoto and iTunes) from that backup.

OP
A
Reaction score
Oh I see - I was just assuming that it was ok as it was still the same computer. Well it's good to know that I can restore photos and music. Thanks for your help. I think I've got it worked out now...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac: 5K 27” (2020), 3.3 GHz, 32Gb RAM. iPad2, iPad mini4, iPhone 13 Mini, Apple Watch SE
OP - surely your Time machine backups were on your external drive not your internal hard drive. If you didn't wipe your external drive they should still be there.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.