Connecting my iMAC (mid-2007) to a 2005 Philips TV, Help!

Reaction score
AppleCare Kimberly told me to buy--and I did--3 cables/dongles: Mini DVI to VGA; VGA to RCA; and RCA extension to RCA. I read online "how to connect," and did. And I put the TV set on "AV" so that all I did was according to directions. I got nothing. What help can I get from members of this forum, please? If you need more detail, I'm more than happy to add the info, such as distance from my desktop to the tv is about 8=10 feet. Philips was less than helpful, suggested that I had too many wires in a chain. Not the $50 spent is what makes me crazy, but the time and effort to read and get nothing is more irritating. One neighbor suggested buying a new tv and new computer. That's a little harsh, for sure. My iMAC runs 10.9.5, fyi. Thanks for your advice --or should I say "input/output?" :) Paul

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Can you give the exact model of your Phillips? 2005 sounds like the one I owned which had both composite and Component video. If it's the TV I think it is it might even have SVHS.

I and others can better help you if we know what we are working with.

Is this a CRT TV? In other words not a Flat Panel LCD.

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Can you tell us which Philips TV is involved (model number)? Some TVs of that vintage require that the computer be connected to a specific port on the TV or it won't work.

If I looked up the right iMac, based on the information provided thus far, I think you will need the following:
Apple Mini-DVi to VGA Display Adapter M9320G/A B&H Photo Video

A VGA cable to connect that adapter to the TV

3ft Premium 3.5mm Stereo Male to 2RCA to carry sound from the Mac to the TV. This cable is available in varying lengths. If you don't already have one make sure that the "headphone" end of the cable has two colored bands like the one in the image. Single bands indicate a mono cable.

OP
P
Reaction score
Hi, My Philips GV model number is this: 20 PT 6441/37. I do not know if it is "flat" or not, because the box itself is about 15-18" deep, and the manual doesn't tell me. The manual of the tv, which I kept (and which is online, too, at 20PT6441/37 Philips TV 20PT6441 51 cm (20") real flat - Philips Support, or for the manual itself, goto: http://download.p4c.philips.com/files/2/20pt6441_37/20pt6441_37_dfu_aen.pdf) has a panel, #5, re front and side AV connections (RCA, red, yellow, white). This is what I followed.
What I bought (3 on Amazon, the fourth item at Best Buy):
1. HDE VGA Adapter to TV S-Video RCA Out Cable for PC Video
2.Apple Mini DVI to VGA Adapter
Sold by DataVision Computer Video
Condition: New
3. SF Cable, 3 RCA Male to 3 RCA Female Audio Video Extension Cable-15 Feet
Sold by SFCABLE
Condition: New
4. Male to Male RCA cable, because #3 was male/female, and I needed male/male extension

So, please let me know if you have any additional questions. I look forward to your replies and suggestions. Thank you. Paul

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
That set wasn't really made with connecting a computer in mind. The closest thing I can come up with at this point is a transcoder device would convert VGA signals to component video. The jury is out on how well those would work.

The closest I can come with is the following arrangement which might not work at all:
1. Mini DVI to VGA connector such as this one.

2. VGA to component video transcoder box such as this one.

3. Connect that box to the TV by component video connection. I believe the box would also handle audio from the headphone jack on the Mac to either the box or directly to the TV.

The way I figure it you would be in for about $50 - $60 in parts and cables with no guarantee it would work.

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
The above would be the correct method.

The "HDE VGA Adapter to TV S-Video RCA Out Cable for PC Video" adapter is a worthless piece of junk.
It will not work for your use - period.
And why that thing has a red/white audio cable coming out of it is an absolute mystery, since there is no VGA port ever made that will put out audio.
That adapter and others like it will only work with a few Matrox video cards produced from around 2001 - 2003 that had S-Video output built into their VGA port.

Applecare Kimberly knows not what she is talking about. You will not get a composite, S-Video nor component signal out of a VGA port without using a powered converter. There is no such thing as a simple adapter that will do this except on a very few specific video cards that typically had built in TV tuners (ex. ATI had it's "All-in-Wonder" series) from somewhere around '97 - '05.

If you want to use the rest of the cables you already have, monoprice also has a VGA to composite/S-video converter - link. I doubt you're going to like the picture. The component converter sly linked to should give you a better picture.

Also, not positive, but pretty sure you will not be able to use an extended desktop, only mirroring of what is on your iMac display with this type of setup.

Last edited:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
That is basically the same Phillips I had years ago. I hooked it up to a Mac with a composite adapter and the picture was very blurry at best. I had to set the resolution on the Mac as low as it would go to even read the text under the Icons! Maybe what Sly and Bob are suggesting will be at least somewhat better, but do not expect sharp clear text like a VGA monitor.

OP
P
Reaction score
Thanks, all who have responded. Will read through the items carefully later today. pg

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.