Reinstalling Mac OS X

Reaction score
My MacBook pro has shown me the sign of the flashing question mark folder, and I would want to reinstall it. My only problem now is trying to restart the computer after getting over the apple logo. It tells me to hold down the power button for a few seconds or press restart. Every time I power off and think that it installed it comes back to the same information of having to restart my computer. I'm thinking I should just go get it fixed.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
You didn't tell us what OS version you had installed on the computer. But if it was OS 10.7 or higher...then reboot the computer...then press the 2-key combo...command + r. This boots the computer into the Recovery Partition...you should be able to reinstall the OS from there.

If you had OS 10.6 or earlier installed...then the process is different.

FYI...getting the flashing "?"...can also mean the hard drive has died. So be aware of this possibility.

- Nick

OP
G
Reaction score
You didn't tell us what OS version you had installed on the computer. But if it was OS 10.7 or higher...then reboot the computer...then press the 2-key combo...command + r. This boots the computer into the Recovery Partition...you should be able to reinstall the OS from there.

If you had OS 10.6 or earlier installed...then the process is different.

FYI...getting the flashing "?"...can also mean the hard drive has died. So be aware of this possibility.

- Nick

I have OS 10.5. Thanks so much Nick for responding. The command + r worked for a bit...then it had some error. I think I'll just take in soon, because I've tried so many different ways and it never rebooted until that one time.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Gamersportslove;1633618The command + r worked for a bit...then it had some error. [/QUOTE said:
You were only supposed to try this if the computer was running 10.7 or higher.;)

Since this MacBook Pro is running a pretty old OS version (10.5). At this point you need a 10.6 install disk:

Mac OS X 10.6 Snow Leopard - Apple Store (U.S.)

Then if you want to go higher than 10.6...we can discuss.:)

- Nick

p.s. Of course if you want to reinstall 10.5...that can be done too. But then you will need a 10.5 install disk. If you don't have one...eBay has them.:)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.