Print Test Page

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro1,1 2x2 Intel Dual-Core, 2 GB 667MHz DDR2, OS X 10.6.8; MacBook Pro, High Sierra 10.13.6
I just did a clean install of Mac OS X 10.6.3 Snow Leopard. I got all software updates, About This Mac shows Version 10.6.8. I have printers installed (Brother MFC-8500 and HL-2170W), both print. I installed the Brother ControlCenter for the MFC-8500 and can scan using the control center (but Apple scan disconnects, will address the later).
What I can not get is why I don't see the Print Button on the Print Queue Toolbar! All I want is to print a test page. According to Mac 101: Printing (Mac OS X v10.6) - Apple Support
"... In the Print Queue toolbar you have these buttons:

1. Delete -
2. Hold / Resume -
3. Job Info -
4. Pause / Resume Printer -
5. Supply Levels -
6. Printer Setup -
7. Printer -
8. Scanner -
..."

I have all the buttons EXCEPT 7 & 8...:Grimmace:

Where is the Print Test Page hiding?

Reaction score
Two things...
The print queue is dependent on your printer software. It just may not have that.
Try right-clicking on the tool bar, select "Customize Toolbar". Maybe it's there.

OP
moot4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Pro1,1 2x2 Intel Dual-Core, 2 GB 667MHz DDR2, OS X 10.6.8; MacBook Pro, High Sierra 10.13.6
Two things...
The print queue is dependent on your printer software. It just may not have that.
I used the printer driver supplied by OS, not Brother Software for printer. I also had the same issue with HP... but that's not unusual.
Try right-clicking on the tool bar, select "Customize Toolbar". Maybe it's there.
Checked there, but nothing...

I vaguely remember something like this a couple of years ago with version 9... but cannot remember how I got the Test Print to work... will have to see if I can get the old iBook up again...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
On my Brother HL2040 when I open the Print Queue then on the top bar at the top of OSX there is Edit, Printer, Jobs. If I click on Printer one of the options in the drop down are Print Test page.

If you have not checked there, check and let us know.

OP
moot4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
On my Brother HL2040 when I open the Print Queue then on the top bar at the top of OSX there is Edit, Printer, Jobs. If I click on Printer one of the options in the drop down are Print Test page.

If you have not checked there, check and let us know.

Thanks for the hint. On my HL-2170W, there is a Utility button that has the Test Print. This is buried under Printer Setup. The MFC-8500 does not have the Utility button...

Very strange behavior for a operating system that is supposed to be so 'friendly'.

btw... I don't see any Edit, Printer, Jobs... what do you mean by OSX, i.e., which one?

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Any OSX actually has that bar up top. Let me get you a screen shot. BRB.

When you open PRINT Queue and it's the highlighted app, the Top BAR where the Apple is will show the drop downs for that application. Check the picture I just attached.

BTW that strange printer name in mine is my Print Server that I have attached to the Brother. when I click on Printer it drops down with many options and one is Print Test Page.

Screen Shot 2015-01-11 at 3.42.09 PM.png

OP
moot4mac
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Any OSX actually has that bar up top. Let me get you a screen shot. BRB.

When you open PRINT Queue and it's the highlighted app, the Top BAR where the Apple is will show the drop downs for that application. Check the picture I just attached.

BTW that strange printer name in mine is my Print Server that I have attached to the Brother. when I click on Printer it drops down with many options and one is Print Test Page.

oh boy:[ Thanks... I was tunnel visioned on what the Apple 'support' said about the Printer button on the Print Queue Toolbar...

and the only reason I even care about the Test Page is because it gives documentation about the printer, i.e., Name, Desc., Loc., etc...

Thanks again for sticking with me...

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Not a problem. Glad I could help!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.