how to fix bootcamp error: No bootable device --- insert boot disk and press any key

Reaction score
Hi everybody,

I had a win7 partition created with bootcamp for many months and all was working fine.

Then, using disc utility i created a new partition in the system hd.

It seems that triggered a bootcamp "bug" that involve the malfunction of the partition hierarchy after the creation of a new partition and the option to reboot to windows disappeared. Furthermore, the boot device choice screen lost his windows choice.

After some work I managed to get back again bootcamp in osx bootable partitions choice window (but not on main boot device selection when the mac start up), if i select win partition from osx and reboot the system
i get this error:

No bootable device --- insert boot disk and press any key

I think something is wrong with the assignment of the bootable partition, maybe is looking for windows in the wrong partition.

Any idea?

OSX 10.10.1
Bootcamp with Win 7

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
It seems that triggered a bootcamp "bug" that involve the malfunction of the partition hierarchy after the creation of a new partition and the option to reboot to windows disappeared. Furthermore, the boot device choice screen lost his windows choice.

It's no bug. When you created the new partition you killed the Windows 7 boot sector which operates from EFI not a BIOS like a Windows computer. Make a clone of your Windows 7 partition, and then use the Boot Camp assistant from OS X to remove the Windows 7 partition and if necessary, use Disk Utility to remove the extra partition you created and then start over again.

OP
C
Reaction score
I see. Thank you for the reply.

So, what's the correct way of creating a new partition for a new OS when bootcamp is already set up for a win partition?

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Read the following article from Lifehacker: LINK

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.