Backed up Excel, now can't open

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro -- 2 Ghz Intel Core Duo / 2 GB Ram / 320GB HD -- iPhone 3G Black 16GB
I backed up my iMac using carbon copy so I could wipe it clean and start fresh. I want to install Excel again but I don't have the DMG. I tried running it off of the back up drive but it wont work. Can I some how create a new DMG and install it on my main drive? I have it on my macbook pro, can I somehow transfer it to my iMac?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Migrating larger suites such as Office and Adobe often require using the activation code, or even doing a clean install after removal and activating. How did you buy Office? DVD or digital download?

Last edited:

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Harry is right. Without the product id code (Excel 2011) you will not be able to reinstall or activate. Earlier versions (2004, 2008) will still require a serial number to install. Copying generally does not work.

Reaction score
You could always install OpenOffice and use it to open your Excel files. I use it all of the time and find it integrates very well.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.