external monitor for macbook pro retina - limitations?

Reaction score
Hi, I am not technically savvy about this.

I want to buy an external monitor (extended configuration) to use with a Macbook Pro Retina for programming/coding (I am a newbie just starting classes.).

Are there limitations as to the size/specifications of the monitors that a macbook pro retina will run for this use?

So far I am considering:

Dell UltraSharp 25" U2515H

Dell UltraSharp 24" U2415

I like that these monitors are IPS and can pivot (in case I find that a vertical screen is useful for me).

I picked the size simply based on the thought that this is about as much screen size as I will comfortably be taking in to view. Although I have seen references by some that the font size still ends up being very small on these size screens (I don't understand why they can't just adjust the font size, but as I said, I am not savvy about these specs.).

Will either of these work with either the retina 13" or 15" (I was leaning towards 13")?

Or should I go larger? or same size with higher resolution?

thanks,
Zep

Reaction score
I have a better idea.

Go and purchase a 32 inch led tv or a lcd tv really doesn't matter and get a hdmi adapter for the macbook pro in question much larger workspace nice clarity.

and would almost run you the same price as the 24 inch dell.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Or should I go larger? or same size with higher resolution?

That's a nice monitor but at that screen size and high resolution, I would definitely go for at least a 27" model rather than 24" or 25". I can tell you from experience with my iMac 27" high resolution monitor, that any smaller screen size at 2560 x 1440 is going to cause a lot of eye squinting. Of course a larger monitor is going to up the price considerably, but consider this.... what are your eyes worth? ;D

OP
Z
Reaction score
That's a nice monitor but at that screen size and high resolution, I would definitely go for at least a 27" model rather than 24" or 25". I can tell you from experience with my iMac 27" high resolution monitor, that any smaller screen size at 2560 x 1440 is going to cause a lot of eye squinting. Of course a larger monitor is going to up the price considerably, but consider this.... what are your eyes worth? ;D

I definitely don't want to tax my eyes. Am I actually better off lowering the resolution with a 23-24 inch screen? Does the lower resolution result in larger font renderings, just not as crisp? Ultimately, I would think that larger blocky lettering is better on the eyes than tiny crisp lettering.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I definitely don't want to tax my eyes. Am I actually better off lowering the resolution with a 23-24 inch screen?

Please don't confuse display size with resolution.:)

As an example...1920 x 1080 displays can come in 23", 24", 25", and 27" display sizes (maybe more). Since the "resolution" is the same on all of them...the larger the display...the larger the text will be. The smaller the display...the smaller the text will be.

So when considering this parameter...the text size you will see (at the monitors native resolution) is a combination of screen resolution and screen size. There are things you can do with the Mac OS to "tweek" this. But I'm talking before any OS tweeks.

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.