PowerBook 3400c connectivity

Reaction score
:'( Need to connect a monitor and a mouse - if still possible - to an antiques PowerBook 3400c - I need to retrieve some valuable data but the screen has gone too dark and dim and it is hard to see. Also, not sure if I still can connect it to the internet. Help, please!

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
PowerBook 3400c | Low End Mac

That is your machine. It says there is a VGA jack so you should be able to hook up any VGA monitor. Not sure if some adapter is needed. Been too long!

On a Mouse there is no USB but old Apple ADB, so you can get an old ADB mouse from Ebay for probably under $5. ADB=Apple Desktop Bus.

Hope that helps.

PS, just searched and a person has a 15" VGA monitor directly hooked up, so you should be in luck!

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks! Sounds like it might work. Looking forward to re-discovering material that is several years old!

Reaction score
sad to here a great old mac losing its screen but yes the adapter should work just fine

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks. Actually you can just make out what's on the screen, except it is all in a reddish blur/tinge. Hard on the eyesight and the room has to be pretty much in the dark too. If only I had better eyesight. Will have to go hunting for a VGA monitor plus cable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
May I suggest that it may just be quicker and easier to pull the drive and use one of the Hard Drive SATA IDE PATA to USB 2.0 Adapter Connector for 2.5" drives.

Usually for about $20 -$30.00.

OP
R
Reaction score
Thanks - it might end up being a better option, however I am not that adept at pulling drives out of laptops... Also, there are some old programs on the laptop that I would need in order to finish working on some files before exporting them.Also, I am afraid if I try to fiddle with the drive I might corrupt it. I would rather work on the 3400c and then try converting them to some new programs.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The universal hard drive adapter product is a great idea…but if removing the HD at the moment has some downsides for you…just get a cheap used ~15" VGA external monitor. They are extremely cheap via Craig's List. In fact from time to time I've seen them for free.:)

Just checked my local Craig's List…and there are at least three 14"-17" external flat panel monitors for $20 or less.

- Nick

Slydude

Staff member
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
M1 MacMini 16 GB - Ventura, iPhone 14 Pro Max, 2015 iMac 16 GB Monterey
Just checked my local Craig's List…and there are at least three 14"-17" external flat panel monitors for $20 or less.

- Nick
The cheap monitor isn't a bad idea. I thought about spending a little more on the monitor since it's still possible to find some that haVE VGA connections in addition to DVI or HDMI connections. When this project is finished you've got a shiny new second monitor to use with newer gear,

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
The cheap monitor isn't a bad idea. I thought about spending a little more on the monitor since it's still possible to find some that haVE VGA connections in addition to DVI or HDMI connections. When this project is finished you've got a shiny new second monitor to use with newer gear,

I'm with you.:) An external monitor is always nice to have (especially if is has multiple inputs...VGA, DVI, HDMI). Just trying to keep it cheap for the OP.:)

If I was someone without an external monitor...I would certainly invest in something nicer.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.