Booting to External Boot Drive or CD

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
I am having far more trouble than I should, getting my mini to boot to a CD. I finally did get it to do so, and booted (successfully BTW) to Ubuntu 5.1 (live), but it wasn't easy. I guess it's all about the timing, but when exactly does one press the key or keys required to boot to other media? And, do I have this correct:

To boot to a CD: Press C
To boot to another boot drive: Press CMD+OPTION+SHIFT+DELETE

I'd like to test my bootable copy/image of OS X on my external firewire drive, but I can't seem to get the thing to do anything but boot normally into OS X from the internal drive.

Will these keystrokes work from a re-start, or do I need to power down and back up?

I understand that I can choose my bootup disk from System Preferences, but I'd like to do it via the keyboard at bootup, just to be sure I *can* do it, if it ever becomes necessary.

So to summarize:

Which keystrokes to boot to a drive of my choice?
When are the keys to be pressed?
Should they be held down?

Thanks!

Mark

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Pro 15" 2ghz/2GB/250gb/SD - White Macbook 2.16ghz/2.5GB/250GB/SD
I always just used 'C' to boot to another device. I did this on my ibook G3 to install Tiger from my Mini.
It should give you a list of devices that are avaliable to boot from.

You should start holding it down at the 'shime' sound.

OP
geekboy2000
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" 2.0GHz Intel Core Duo iMac, 1.5 GHZ PPC Mac Mini, MacBook MB403LL/A
JGruber said:
I always just used 'C' to boot to another device. I did this on my ibook G3 to install Tiger from my Mini.
It should give you a list of devices that are avaliable to boot from.

You should start holding it down at the 'shime' sound.

Thanks very much. I just did a bit more reading, and found the OPTION key mentioned (used alone, not with any other key), and found I did see both of my bootable drives come up as choices. Unfortunately, trying to boot from what I *thought* was a good clone on my external drive (firewire connected), resulted in a momentary Apple logo/grey screen, and then the circle w/line through it symbol. So, I guess it's a good thing I'm tinkering now, rather than when I have no choice. :) Thanks!

Mark

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.