Lacie external drive not noticed (USB)

Reaction score
My USB backup disk some time ago had a malfunction. I finally reformatted the disk, losing many iterations of backup, but I thought it was working. I see now that it has not backed up since Dec. 12. Neither the Macbook Pro's 2.0 (I think) USB drive, nor the 3.0 (I think) on the external keyboard notices the backup drive. (Built-in keyboard doesn't work, hence the USB external keyboard.) Why and what to do?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Have you tried to use the external drive on another system. Just to check and make sure the controller chipset isn't going out? Its likely you may have other computer related issues. But this will let you know if the drive is working or not before looking for there issues.

OP
M
Reaction score
It don't know itself

Nope, Exodist. I don't have another system I can use, and don;'t know someone with one. And can't afford to pay the profiteer. Nothing shows up in Finder when I plug this one in. It does blink once when I attach it (USB it), but then it stays asleep, light on but not blinking.

I did format it when I got an error that it was not functional, but I don't think it knows it's "Backup."

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 15" 2.9 GHz 6-Core i9 MacOS 13.6; iPhone 6S; G4 Powerbook 12" 867Mhz 1152MB OS X 10.5.8.
Have you tried changing the cable? I find that some cables don't seem to provide enough power from the USB 2.0 port for the drive to work, when another of supposedly the same specification does.
I have a LaCie portable drive which has those symptoms one cable and not the other.

Reaction score
Lacie hard drives have bad drive controller cards on them when the controller board fails your drive fails.

Lacie has used sea gates in the past and they still use them now and they usually corrupt or fail.

OP
M
Reaction score
So that might be what has happened. Well, I think I will stop making backups. I can't afford a new drive just now. Thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
L2012 Mini, i7 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD(fusion), BenQ 32" 2.5k QHD Display
Lacie hard drives have bad drive controller cards on them when the controller board fails your drive fails.

Thats exactly what I was thinking has happened as well. I just wanted to see if was could rule out the computer first.. Still, I am leaning towards Controller failure..

It may be possible to remove the drive and place it in a new enclosure. But that depends really.. The drive have a controller chip on it and the enclosure has one also.. If the enclosure one which is Lacie made died, chances the drive may still work. That said, a USB 2.0 enclosure is only about $20 USD, which is fast enough for backups. Then if the drive is dead also, you can get a drive for about $80. Depending on your size and brand.. Or just get a WD MyBook USB 3.0 for Mac and I think I paid about $125-ish USD for a 3TB. Which is less hassle and you can forget about the issue and move on..

OP
M
Reaction score
Going to begin a new thread, on a similar trouble: My recording device (Edirol) is also not being recognised. Neither in the Macbook Pro's USB 2.0? nor the add-on keyboard's, which i think is USB 3.0.

Makes me think that the Backup device is not at fault, nor its cable. (Its light does flicker on attach. But the backup doesn't occur.)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Going to begin a new thread, on a similar trouble: My recording device (Edirol) is also not being recognised. Neither in the Macbook Pro's USB 2.0? nor the add-on keyboard's, which i think is USB 3.0.

Makes me think that the Backup device is not at fault, nor its cable. (Its light does flicker on attach. But the backup doesn't occur.)

Which goes back to my first suggestion and see if your laptops built in USB chipset isn't going out.. I suggest just carrying it to a Apple store and have them check it if thats an option..

OP
M
Reaction score
I get it now. I thought you were saying the USB device had its own bulit-in chipset. Silly me--that would be a Windows machine. Actually, that's good advice but I came on this forum because I refuse to use the local Mac shop. But some things need expert help. Yet I cannot afford it. Thanks, though!

Reaction score
See i went through 40 + of these drives same results drive controller failed the hard drive is still intact on them just the usb to sata board thats inside the box is dead i recommend taking the box apart and seeing honestly what drive is inside the box if its a seagate your external is toast because sea gates just corrupt and fail completely and are basically junk drives for mac users that don't know about drives.

OP
M
Reaction score
Hey, I will do that. I want to learn to be more hands-on anyhow. Er ... I see it has 4 hex-shaped nuts to get at, though. Star-shaped, more like. Wonder if I have such a tool, and doubt it. Maybe a tiny flat screwdriver can be torqued to do the job...

OP
M
Reaction score
And that's another reason I don't like the local guy. They sell stuff they should know better than to sell. First I bought a Backup device that was twice this one's capacity; it died right away, so I took it back and they had no more of the larger size, so I was stuck with this one and a credit. (Of course, such stores never give you money back!) If you've had 40+ fail, I'm sure this shop knows it's junk. Maybe there aren't good alternatives, but I'm stuck with no backup, and why didn't they have more of the larger one in stock? I just know they are quick to sell one stuff and get your money. A bit TOO eager.

Reaction score
i know i recommend building your own box get a external hard drive box and a good samsung ssd or even a western digital 1tb / 2tb model.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I get it now. I thought you were saying the USB device had its own bulit-in chipset. Silly me--that would be a Windows machine. Actually, that's good advice but I came on this forum because I refuse to use the local Mac shop. But some things need expert help. Yet I cannot afford it. Thanks, though!

They do.. The computers USB chipset has their on controller for handling IO, so does the chipset on the drives enclosure, and so does the actual hard drive in the enclosure. While they are all slightly different in their own way, there main purpose is the same. Control Data Inputs and Outputs.

Any of these fail and data stops flowing.

Last edited:
OP
M
Reaction score
After a long lapse, I just bought a solution. 169 days since I last had a backup--that's December 2014. It's a Western Dynamics "My Passport for Mac," so, pre-formatted for Mac. It hasn't been recognised yet. A computer friend offered to come over for a look, but he has not shown up. I'll say this same prelude in a new thread, because I want to achieve a broad response. This is just a follow-up to those who tried to help with the old backup disc....

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
I'll say this same prelude in a new thread, because I want to achieve a broad response. This is just a follow-up to those who tried to help with the old backup disc....

Thanks for the update. Yes…saw your other thread & replied.:)

- Nick

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.