iMac grey screen at start up

Reaction score
I have a genius bar appt tomorrow but was wondering if anyone might know what is happening. My mac just stopped one day. Clicking sound and than black screen. I shut it down and turned it on. There was a grey screen with green vertical stripes and then went to all grey. Nothing else. My son in law did everything he knew, we did a safe boot, ran diagnostics (Which said no issues were found) but it still is just a grey screen. I can't back up anything to remove things before bringing it in so I was curious if anyone had a similar problem? I did buy apple care and it doesn't run out unto October 2015 but I am hesitant to leave the computer there since I am unable to turn it on to back up and remove items. Thanks so much!

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
You have Apple Care and that's a good thing. And if you haven't kept up with your backups and that's a bad thing. You can ask the genius if they can extract your data for you, but there's a chance they won't be able to. I had to take my iMac to the genius bar because my hard drive had failed but luckily I had a recent backup. The genius will tell you whether they can backup your data or not.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.