How do I make sure no one is remote logging into my Mac?

Reaction score
I have a few questions related to learning all the places to check to see if my mac is being accessed/surveilled by someone else. My work gave all the employees "company macbook pros" so we could work from home at night. (So nice of them to encourage 24x7 working)

They told us it was fine to use these laptops for personal use when outside the office. Some people I work with noticed that the green webcam camera light comes on every now and then when they work from home so I figure the company is monitoring us. Basically I wanted to learn how to determine if we are being monitored/surveilled when we are at home.

Q #1
I know I can start the "console" application and look under "diagnostic and usage" but it's a mess to read. Is there a log file I can "grep" using the command line that will tell me when the webcam is being turned on or if pictures are being snapped? If not, what is the best way for me to keep on top of webcam access? Ideally I'd like to create a background script that checks a log every 10 mins and emails my personal gmail account when the webcam is turned on or is snapping pictures so I know if we are being monitored when at home. (which is not cool)

Q #2
If I type "last" on the command line shell, does that tell me about every access to the laptop OR are there ways people can get into my laptop and have it not show up with the "last" command? If the "last" command isn't a comprehensive accounting, could someone list all the ways I can check to see if someone else is on the macbook ?

Q #3
Could there be "spy apps" installed on the mac that allow the macbook to be monitored without logging in? I'm not worried about the company surveillance while we are at work but I certainly want to know if they are using the webcam or watching our screen when we are in the privacy of our homes.

Thanks for all the help in advance. Sorry if I was too wordy. Please educate me.

Reaction score
Last should pretty much tell you everything about logins.
As far as software, look in Activity Monitor instead of Console. See if there's anything you don't recognize running.
That might be a little difficult so just ask about any running processes.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PPC Mini, 10.4.11. Intel Mini, 10.6.8. MacBook Pro, 10.14.6. M1 MBA 11.6.3 iPhone 5 iOS 12.5,
Some people I work with noticed that the green webcam camera light comes on every now and then when they work from home so I figure the company is monitoring us. Basically I wanted to learn how to determine if we are being monitored/surveilled when we are at home.
A bit of tape over the camera will solve that problem. :Mischievous:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.