ad pop-ups

Reaction score
I upgraded to OS X Yosemite and since then I have had pop-up ads and sometimes have to reboot my macbook to get past them. I have enabled pop-up blocker but it does not stop them. One of them is called Mackeeper.

C

chas_m

Maybe tell us a little bit about the procedure you used to upgrade to Yosemite, and what else you might have downloaded or installed lately.

M

MacInWin

And you can look at AdwareMedic (search for it) to see if it can clean out the popups. They aren't related to Yosemite, but appeared in the Internet at about the time Apple released Yosemite. If AdwareMedic helps, then get Adblock+ and/or GHostery to help block the popups.

Reaction score
I have the same problem. It is really irritating that a Mac product keeps trying to sell itself without letting me get rid of it. I bought one of these a few years ago to eliminate duplicate photos and it eliminated both the dups AND the originals.

M

MacInWin

Well, as i said two years ago, get Ghostery and block everything. NO more popups. And if you have malware installed, get malwarebytes from malwarebytes.com and run it to clean up the system for you.

One last thought: Mac product developers need to get their product out for people to know about before they can sell it. That's ok. But what's not ok, IMHO, is hijacking my browser with a popup to do so. And the perpetrators of these popups are generally not the better developers anyway, and best avoided altogether.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2023-14" M3max MBPro, 64GB/1TB, iPhone 15 Pro, Watch Ultra
I am confused. You post to an older thread about popup issues with reference to Mackeeper. Then you reference duplicate photos and how a product you purchased erased them and your duplicates. That makes no sense to me.

First - popups occur on Macs and PCs. It is the bane of the internet. Some are annoying and others are malicious. If you are trying to get rid of popups install as extensions in your browser, Ghostery and Adblock Plus. Also download Malwarebytes for mac and run it.

If you would provide more information as to what browser, version of OS X and specifics that would help.

Lisa

Reaction score
Thanks for your quick reply. I downloaded Ghostery and hope it will eliminate the unwanted MacKeeper ads.
Jerry

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 27" iMac, 1TB(partitioned) SSD, 20GB, OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Well Jerry how did you remove Mackeeper? Not simply removed it to the Trash which would explain your problem as that malware is designed to be very difficult to remove. Maybe download it again and the follow thye second post by WZZZ. Not real easy is it but it designed that way:-

https://discussions.apple.com/message/16061040#16061040

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.