Why is Apps taking up most space on storage?

Reaction score
Hi! I'm running out of storage on my Macbook. Apps is apparently taking up most of my storage.

This is the breakdown:

It says "737.3 MB free out of 120.47 GB"

Audio - 3.55 GB
Movies - 17.45 GB
Photos - 6.14 GB
Apps - 358.52 GB
Backups - 0 KB
Other - 0 KB

I don't know why Apps is taking up that big of a space. I only have 3 apps that I downloaded aside from the apps that were already there when I bought my Macbook. Those 3 apps are uTorrent, Avast Mac Security and VLC. Also, I deleted some apps that I don't really use (such as GarageBand and iMovie). The application that has the biggest size is iPhoto at 1.7 GB.

I'm at a loss at what to do know because I really don't know what's taking up most of my storage. If you could please help that would be great :)

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15
Try using "Disk Inventory X"...and see if it helps to explain where all the space is going:

Disk Inventory X

- Nick

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
I don't know why Apps is taking up that big of a space. I only have 3 apps that I downloaded aside from the apps that were already there when I bought my Macbook. Those 3 apps are uTorrent, Avast Mac Security and VLC. Also, I deleted some apps that I don't really use (such as GarageBand and iMovie). The application that has the biggest size is iPhoto at 1.7 GB.

Like Nick said, download the free Disk Inventory X to find out what's going on. However, I'm thinking you have a load of download stuff from uTorrent sitting on your hard drive. Torrents will suck up hard drive space in no time. I strongly suggest getting rid of uTorrent and all the stuff it downloaded.

Also, you don't need Avast as there are no viruses in the wild that can infect your Mac. Get rid of that too.

pigoo3

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 15" MBP, 16gig ram, 1TB SSD, OS 10.15

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.