Printing wirelessly from PowerBook to Lexmark on XP

Reaction score
Hey everyone need some help.

I have a Lexmark Z65 inkjet printer. There's drivers for OS X and they work great when connected directly. However, I currently have the printer connected to my Dell with Windows XP Pro in the other room. I'm trying to figure out how to print wirelessly from my PowerBook to the Dell. I have it set for sharing, and I can locate and connect to it from my PowerBook. The problem is when it says select a driver for this printer. I get a list, but all the Lexmark's listed are laser printers. I have the proper drivers installed on my computer for printing locally though so I'm not sure why it would be an issue. Am I missing something here? How do I say use the drivers currently installed for local printing and not one that comes with Tiger? Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook Air, 20" iMac 2.17 Ghz 1GB
I also am curious as to the answer as I have a Windows XP with a shared HP Photosmart 7960 on it, and have that driver locally loaded on my Powerbook which works fine direct with USB cable, but it won't let me attach to the wirelessly shared windows network printer with that driver (driver does not appear in the available list). This printer itself is physically on a Netgear print server even through the XP box has it shared as well. I could go straight to the internal IP address (the Mac's IP locator does find the printserver) if it would let me, but again the only printers in the list that pops up are the stock HP ones that do not have the Photosmart ones in it and there seems to be no way to point it to my installed driver on the USB for this same printer. Either way would be fine with me (via shared XP or directly to Netgear wireless print server) but I cannot figure it out. The netgear setup CD that you can run on Windows PC's to automatically setup the server info will not work on Mac. They do not appear to have Mac stuff for download either. I searched around and found a lot of info about setting up some queue with a generic postscript driver and all sorts of registry hacking on the shared XP box to make it semi-work in basic text modes, but surely there is an easy way to print wirelessly without having to buy an airport receiver thing to connect to the printer. However, if I finally do have to go that route, will the XP and 2K boxes my kids have in their rooms and my XP desktop still be able to use the wireless printer and wireless internet in the house or just the Powerbook?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerBook G4 1.67 15" 2GB RAM 80GB HD Superdisk
I found this link to be of great help in setting up my HP 2100 Laserjet which is running off an old Win 98 PC I use as a file and print server.

Setting up a Windows Shared Printer in OS X

The Gimp-Print driver worked great! :mac:

Make sure you check the list of supported and known to work printers. There's a link in the article.

OP
E
Reaction score
Was a nice try but no luck! There's only like 4 Lexmark printers on there and none of them work for me, just makes the page go through the printer really slow and that's all :( Thanks though,

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini 1.58 - 60 GB 7200 RPM Hard Drive - 1 GB PC3200 & 1.33 Ghz 12" iBook w/ 80 GB 7200 RPM HD
My advice...save yourself the effort and hardship...sell the lexcrap and go buy a real printer that supports OS's other than MS's like a Canon or even an Epson. I had zero luck getting my Lexmark to work with any of my Macs after I switched.

Good Luck!

OP
E
Reaction score
Yeah that's my plan. It's too bad, I'd never used Lexmark before only Canon and Epson and wasn't impressed at all. I bought a Dell then got a really good Lexmark with it. I was so impressed I swore I'd buy nothing but Lexmark again. Unfortunately on my PowerBook its slower than it was on the Dell, but I can live with it. Just this is frustrating now, so when I do get another printer, I'll prob get something else. Not a fan of how Epson forces you to replace all ink cartridges if one of the colour ones are empty and the black is full.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.