Boom 2 destroys sound on Thunderbolt display

Reaction score
As per your recommendation I installed Boom 2 for OS X Yosemite, in the hope of boosting the sound on my MacBook Pro. While it seems to work fine on the laptop[, it badly distorts the sound on the display when connected. There is also no option to change the sound output in System preferences. It just jumps back to the Boom audio output.
In desperation I tried to delete the Boom App and write off my hard-earned cash, but guess what? This App is going nowhere, like a terminal disease!
What have you guys done!!??

M

MacInWin

???

Your first post and you reference a recommendation (blindly) and then make an accusatory statement like "What have you guys done?" Not going to get much help with that attitude or approach.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Welcome to the Mac Forums

What have you guys done!!??

We are in no way affiliated with the developers of "Boom 2" nor do we make any recommendation of it one way or the other. I suggest you contact the developers directly and inquire of them if something is not working right.

These forums are peer to peer voluntary and are in no way associated with Apple or any software developer.

Reaction score
And exactly HOW did you delete it? Something like that needs to use an uninstaller, which probably came with it, or is available from the developer.

OP
D
Reaction score
When one gets an e-mail from Mac-Forums to its members with subject line "Boom 2, the best audio app for your Mac arrives on the the Mac App Store" it sounds pretty much like a recommendation. Especially when the Heading states "Mac-Forums Brief brings you occasional discounts and offers from Mac-Forums and its partners"! Excuse me for thinking that you might actually have tested it. Now you wash your hands of all responsibility and criticise my "attitude". That is very disingenious of you.
I've since solved the problem myself. Switch off Boom 2 when you're connected to a Thunderbolt display. But there's a lot of work to be done on this app before it's worth spending money on it.

C

chas_m

Hi Derek!

Sorry about the confusion, but you rather caused it by not including these vitally-important details about the actual sequence of events. "We" are a group of volunteers who answer Mac etc questions because we enjoy helping others. But Mac-Forums is owned by a company, and one of the ways they keep the lights on is the subscriber email offer you mentioned. So iNet Interactive is to "blame" here (not really, read on), but you are NOT to blame for any "attitude" for not knowing the difference. So on behalf of the other volunteers (who have no formal connection at all to iNet; they provided the clubhouse, we just provide the entertainment!) I am happy to apologise to you for any frosty reception you might have encountered. It was all down to a lack of clarity in the original post and confusion on the part of the volunteers like myself, who have nothing at all to do with any offers or emails that go out.

I'm sorry to hear that Boom doesn't work well on Thunderbolt displays. As suggested above, this is a topic you should definitely bring up with the developers. You might get a refund, but much more importantly they would learn about a bug in their product and hopefully find a way to fix it.

Thanks very much for clarifying what happened, and again I'm sorry we misunderstood you. Please do let us know if you get any results with the developer.

M

MacInWin

Derek, I'll second what chas_m said. We volunteers don't send out emails, don't control the advertising, don't have anything to do with iNet Interactive, other than to use the forum. Your original post just struck me as a bit of a hostile way to ask for help, which triggered my response. Now that I have the information you've provided, your post comes into context and I can see how you could be frustrated. But it's not the volunteers here, it's the Boom developers who you need to contact.

Can't tell you what to do with Boom, I've never even heard of it. Sorry.

OP
D
Reaction score
Thanks for clearing that up guys. And I apologise for panicking and hitting the keyboard before I had calmed down! Enjoy your weekend.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.