mac mini wont start

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
Hello
wow, i need help!
after deleting a bunch of private files, my mac mini shuts off during start up- even in safe mode (shift key) specs:mac mini 2013, mavericks. i don't mind resetting the OS from scratch with a mountain lion USB-everthing is saved

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Since we have no idea what you deleted exactly, I'd say just reinstall OS X from scratch. Since you are already on Mavericks though, why not just install that?

OP
banesto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
mac mIni *2013 macbook air *2011-itouch G4 32 gb (new repair projects:iMac G4 2002* imac g5 2007*
Since we have no idea what you deleted exactly, I'd say just reinstall OS X from scratch. Since you are already on Mavericks though, why not just install that?

perhaps someone had this problem, and solved that with a simple operation
i "think" i deleted all my /private/ stuff

OP
banesto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ok, hold R command, select disk utilities AND RUN A VERIFY.
i just panicked, but happy because Mac HD seems to be OK

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
perhaps someone had this problem, and solved that with a simple operation
i "think" i deleted all my /private/ stuff

Well if you don't know for sure, then I most certainly don't. If you are referring to the hidden folder "/private", then you really shouldn't have done that.

OP
banesto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well if you don't know for sure, then I most certainly don't. If you are referring to the hidden folder "/private", then you really shouldn't have done that.

i guess life is a such a beach!
so i get the idiot award today-
anyways I'm doing a checksumming which is scanning.......

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
anyways I'm doing a checksumming which is scanning.......

Checksumming? Why? A checksum is created on a copy of a file that is known to be good and you run a checksum against another copy (say, if you downloaded it or received via email) to make sure it didn't get corrupted along the way. You don't run that on an OS installation unless you are comparing it to a clone of it. Since you deleted some files, there is absolutely no chance you would get a successful checksum against whatever you are comparing this to, unless you cloned it after deleting those files. And even if you did... this still begs the question of why you are even running a checksum. What exactly do you hope to accomplish by doing so?

OP
banesto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Checksumming? Why? A checksum is created on a copy of a file that is known to be good and you run a checksum .....]

because it's -1º here and I'm bored.
i leaning lot about mavericks tho, we can reboot the OS that is on our HDs, which is good!
im hoping i get to reinstall Schmoe leopard 10.8 because that ran perfectly on the mini
i also might swap this HD into an iMac and get a 2 TB........if anyone cares?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
OSX Yosemite. Mac mini Mac mini 6,2. Core i7
Been there, done that.

No, sorry, that's my award and you can't have it...

My favourite path to recovery is to PANIC... Interestingly, I just remembered, that back in the day, when a system had a major failure it was called a Kernel Panic . they knew what they were talking about back then.

I'm running Yosemite, on a Late 2012 Mac Mini. 1TB drive, 16GB Ram and it runs like a rocket. However - having only two weeks left on warranty - it started showing I/O errors on a backup to Carbon Copy Clone and Super Duper.

So in the end - after running up and down the stairs like a demented idiot and swearing a lot, the only way I could get it back up was to Boot into the recovery partition, format the main drive, and restore from TimeMachine. So much for all the Clones on various drives.
Good old TimeMachine. TimeMachine is now my friend. It took 6 hours, but worked right there and then. All I have to do now is wait for the new drives to turn up and I'll put them in.

If you have Mavericks - update to it. It's lovely, and TimeMachine works away in the background, backing up everything. And put your work on iCloud too. Lovely.

OP
banesto
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
No, sorry, that's my award and you can't have it...
If you have Mavericks - update to it. It's lovely, and TimeMachine works away in the background, backing up everything. And put your work on iCloud too. Lovely.

thanks, I enjoyed this reply.
I had to reinstall the OS via online, but lost nothing and gained:
older iTunes 11.3 better!
older Safari=much better!
better VCL & hand brake
and freed up 39 GBs!
so you kids at home, don't delete private files, unless they are bad!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.